If I just had one of those days where the only thing left for me to do was pour a hot bath with my favorite scented bubbles, fill the room with candles and just breathe, then there's one artist that totally fits the calming, relaxation bill to a T: Norah Jones.
Who else has a voice that sounds like slowly melting chocolate?
Who else can sweetly croon away my stresses and worries of the day with a song like "Come Away With Me?"
Amid the "more is more" philosophy that has taken over the music industry, Jones made music soothing to the soul — without all the "extras" that pop music is all gung-ho for.
I love that Jones writes such sweet yet complex melodies. I love her ability to sit at a piano bench and, even though she's not facing the audience, completely have command over a room.
She has the ability to create an inviting feeling of warmth and nostalgia.
My husband and I attended one of her concerts at the USANA Amphitheater a few years back. I remember a huge Persian rug spread across the entire stage. I remember hundreds of electric candles dancing softly to the smooth strains of her music.
I remember Jones cracking jokes and me being somewhat surprised by her quirky stage persona — and not at all surprised that her live performance sounded better than her record.
And while her more recent albums have picked up the pace a bit and added a touch more of a "coffee house cool" vibe, she stills remains true to her signature sweet sound.
Her music always stirs up fond memories for me, such as dancing with my husband.
I always seem to breathe a huge sigh when I listen to her music … and that's what I love about Norah Jones.
Carmen Rasmusen Herbert is a former "American Idol" contestant and writes about entertainment for the Deseret News.
- Chris Hicks: 18 of Cary Grant's earliest...
- Video game adaptation 'Ratchet & Clank' has...
- 'Mother's Day' means well but misses its mark...
- Five for Families: Live-action Disney films...
- Game review: Talisman Harbinger and Cataclysm...
- Fred Hersch Trio returns to S.L. after long...
- Chris Hicks: Sweet, insightful independent...
- Chris Hicks: Agatha Christie’s most...
- Brewvies wants judge to stop DABC from... 6
- Comedian Brian Regan donates $10K... 2
- Chris Hicks: 18 of Cary Grant's... 1
- 'Mother's Day' means well but misses... 1
- UTubers: Nathan Pacheco performs... 0
- Chris Hicks: Agatha Christie’s... 0
- Library hosting May the 4th Be With You... 0
- A family business: Bryce Canyon's... 0