If I just had one of those days where the only thing left for me to do was pour a hot bath with my favorite scented bubbles, fill the room with candles and just breathe, then there's one artist that totally fits the calming, relaxation bill to a T: Norah Jones.
Who else has a voice that sounds like slowly melting chocolate?
Who else can sweetly croon away my stresses and worries of the day with a song like "Come Away With Me?"
Amid the "more is more" philosophy that has taken over the music industry, Jones made music soothing to the soul — without all the "extras" that pop music is all gung-ho for.
I love that Jones writes such sweet yet complex melodies. I love her ability to sit at a piano bench and, even though she's not facing the audience, completely have command over a room.
She has the ability to create an inviting feeling of warmth and nostalgia.
My husband and I attended one of her concerts at the USANA Amphitheater a few years back. I remember a huge Persian rug spread across the entire stage. I remember hundreds of electric candles dancing softly to the smooth strains of her music.
I remember Jones cracking jokes and me being somewhat surprised by her quirky stage persona — and not at all surprised that her live performance sounded better than her record.
And while her more recent albums have picked up the pace a bit and added a touch more of a "coffee house cool" vibe, she stills remains true to her signature sweet sound.
Her music always stirs up fond memories for me, such as dancing with my husband.
I always seem to breathe a huge sigh when I listen to her music … and that's what I love about Norah Jones.
Carmen Rasmusen Herbert is a former "American Idol" contestant and writes about entertainment for the Deseret News.
- 60 things you might not know about your...
- 10 celebrity couples who have made marriage work
- Getting ready for Salt Lake Comic Con:...
- 10 things to know before going to Salt Lake...
- Jim Bennett: The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge is...
- 10 books that you were forced to read in...
- 13 ways Disney could use drones at its parks
- Ron Perlman added to Salt Lake Comic Con...
- Jim Bennett: The ALS Ice Bucket... 7
- Getting ready for Salt Lake Comic Con:... 4
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt wed privately... 3
- Fallon to lead honors as Leno wins top... 2
- Is 'Harry Potter' actually about mental... 2
- EA Sports puts Damian Lillard on the... 2
- Miley Cyrus about VMA success: 'I'm in... 1
- 10 things to know before going to Salt... 1