If I just had one of those days where the only thing left for me to do was pour a hot bath with my favorite scented bubbles, fill the room with candles and just breathe, then there's one artist that totally fits the calming, relaxation bill to a T: Norah Jones.
Who else has a voice that sounds like slowly melting chocolate?
Who else can sweetly croon away my stresses and worries of the day with a song like "Come Away With Me?"
Amid the "more is more" philosophy that has taken over the music industry, Jones made music soothing to the soul — without all the "extras" that pop music is all gung-ho for.
I love that Jones writes such sweet yet complex melodies. I love her ability to sit at a piano bench and, even though she's not facing the audience, completely have command over a room.
She has the ability to create an inviting feeling of warmth and nostalgia.
My husband and I attended one of her concerts at the USANA Amphitheater a few years back. I remember a huge Persian rug spread across the entire stage. I remember hundreds of electric candles dancing softly to the smooth strains of her music.
I remember Jones cracking jokes and me being somewhat surprised by her quirky stage persona — and not at all surprised that her live performance sounded better than her record.
And while her more recent albums have picked up the pace a bit and added a touch more of a "coffee house cool" vibe, she stills remains true to her signature sweet sound.
Her music always stirs up fond memories for me, such as dancing with my husband.
I always seem to breathe a huge sigh when I listen to her music … and that's what I love about Norah Jones.
Carmen Rasmusen Herbert is a former "American Idol" contestant and writes about entertainment for the Deseret News.
- 'Sound of Music' hit a high note for family...
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday...
- Netflix has a different take on modern...
- Tabernacle hosts annual LDS Latino Christmas...
- 'Sound of Music' alive for 18.5 million viewers
- 4 recently released LDS picture books
- Tips for LDS bloggers from the 'ultimate...
- TV Review: Broadway wins in live 'Sound of...
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday... 15
- TV Review: Broadway wins in live 'Sound... 12
- 'Sound of Music' alive for 18.5 million... 12
- 'Sound of Music' hit a high note for... 8
- The Killers collaborates with Owen... 7
- Saving Africa? New book casts harsh... 6
- Tips for LDS bloggers from the... 6
- Faith sustained author through... 5