LOGAN — The offseason continues to be a busy one for the Utah State football coaching staff. According to a report in the Honolulu Star-Advertiser, former Hawaii defensive coordinator Dave Aranda will take over at the same position for the Aggies this fall.
Aranda spent the last two seasons as Hawaii's defensive coordinator, but was not retained by new head coach Norm Chow. In 2010 the Warriors led the nation in turnovers created with 38 and tied the school record with five defensive touchdowns. Last season Hawaii finished with 14 interceptions and 10 fumble recoveries. Creating turnovers was a point of weakness all season for the otherwise solid Aggies. Utah State finished 2011 with just four interceptions and 11 fumble recoveries.
Prior to becoming defensive coordinator at Hawaii, Aranda spent two seasons as the team's defensive line coach (2008-2009). Aranda also spent a year as Delta State's defensive coordinator in 2007, where it ranked first in pass defense, second in scoring defense, and third in run defense in NCAA Division II. Prior to Delta State, he coached the defense at his alma mater California Lutheran for two seasons and spent 2002-2003 as the linebackers coach for University of Houston.
The addition of Aranda to the Aggies will not change any coaching assignments or titles for the current staff. Bill Busch will remain as an associate head coach and special teams coordinator, as well as the safeties coach. Kevin Clune (linebackers), Frank Maile (defensive line) and Kendrick Shaver (cornerbacks) will all maintain their current jobs and responsibilities as well.
This is the second coordinator move for Utah State this season. Earlier this month offensive coordinator Dave Baldwin left for the same position at Colorado State and was replaced by quarterbacks coach Matt Wells.
A spokesperson for Utah State declined to comment in regard to this story.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 29
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 24
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 21
- AP All-Americans: Utah's Wright named... 19