'Mormons in America' Pew survey explores beliefs, attitudes of LDS Church members
Among other interesting findings of the Pew Forum's survey of Mormons:
71 percent of respondents reside in the American West, including 53 percent who live in the Mountain states and 34 percent who live in Utah;
88 percent are white, 7 percent Hispanic, 1 percent black and 4 percent other racial and ethnic backgrounds;
50 percent say that evangelical Christians are generally unfriendly to Mormons;
54 percent say that the way their religion is portrayed on television and in movies hurts society's image of Mormons;
57 percent of Mormons said that most or all of their close friends are other Mormons (this number was significantly higher in Utah, where the number climbed to 73 percent);
65 percent of respondents say they hold a current temple recommend;
27 percent say they believe in yoga not just as exercise but as a spiritual practice;
11 percent say they believe in reincarnation;
74 percent were raised in the LDS Church;
59 percent of converts cite the church's beliefs as the main reason they joined the church;
59 percent of converts joined the church between the ages of 18 and 35;
27 percent have served a full-time mission, including 43 percent of men and 11 percent of women;
82 percent say they have a supply of food in storage, and 58 percent keep at least a three-month supply.
The margin of error for the survey is +/- 4.5 percentage points.
"I think this survey is a really good summary of the hyper-committed Mormon community that shows up at church every week," Cornwall said. "I'm not sure it captures Mormons on the margins very well, but that's OK — hopefully we can do that the next time. Meanwhile, this is a pretty good picture — and an interesting picture — of Mormons."
Listen to and download audio soundbites of Michael Purdy, spokesman for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, discussing the Pew study:
- ValueSpeak: How did my toddler grandson...
- LDS sister missionaries assaulted in Chile
- LDS artist J. Kirk Richards says leaps of...
- 20 years later, 'blessed' Herring believes he...
- Mormon man's half-court shot is a reminder...
- BYU Cougarettes, National Hip-Hop Champions,...
- God will give you more than you can handle, I...
- Online system will allow Mormons to pay...
- Online system will allow Mormons to pay... 72
- 20 years later, 'blessed' Herring... 53
- God will give you more than you can... 51
- Religious liberty issues dog Supreme... 44
- Mormon man's half-court shot is a... 25
- Defending the Faith: Going up to Jerusalem 23
- Wright Words: Founding member of SEAL... 21
- LDS Church donates $100,000 to combat... 19