'Mormons in America' Pew survey explores beliefs, attitudes of LDS Church members
Among other interesting findings of the Pew Forum's survey of Mormons:
71 percent of respondents reside in the American West, including 53 percent who live in the Mountain states and 34 percent who live in Utah;
88 percent are white, 7 percent Hispanic, 1 percent black and 4 percent other racial and ethnic backgrounds;
50 percent say that evangelical Christians are generally unfriendly to Mormons;
54 percent say that the way their religion is portrayed on television and in movies hurts society's image of Mormons;
57 percent of Mormons said that most or all of their close friends are other Mormons (this number was significantly higher in Utah, where the number climbed to 73 percent);
65 percent of respondents say they hold a current temple recommend;
27 percent say they believe in yoga not just as exercise but as a spiritual practice;
11 percent say they believe in reincarnation;
74 percent were raised in the LDS Church;
59 percent of converts cite the church's beliefs as the main reason they joined the church;
59 percent of converts joined the church between the ages of 18 and 35;
27 percent have served a full-time mission, including 43 percent of men and 11 percent of women;
82 percent say they have a supply of food in storage, and 58 percent keep at least a three-month supply.
The margin of error for the survey is +/- 4.5 percentage points.
"I think this survey is a really good summary of the hyper-committed Mormon community that shows up at church every week," Cornwall said. "I'm not sure it captures Mormons on the margins very well, but that's OK — hopefully we can do that the next time. Meanwhile, this is a pretty good picture — and an interesting picture — of Mormons."
Listen to and download audio soundbites of Michael Purdy, spokesman for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, discussing the Pew study:
- Precedents — and exceptions...
- Elders Rasband, Stevenson, Renlund sustained...
- 185th Semiannual General Conference talk...
- President Thomas S. Monson: 'Be an Example...
- In Saturday's General Conference sessions,...
- Unique LDS temple, high-rise apartment...
- President Russell M. Nelson: 'A Plea to My...
- New apostles testify of Jesus Christ during...
- Elders Rasband, Stevenson, Renlund... 43
- Defending the Faith: Did Joseph Smith... 40
- Unique LDS family doctrine still drives... 31
- 3 new LDS apostles will be 98th, 99th,... 27
- Unique LDS temple, high-rise apartment... 26
- Clerk jailed over gay marriage says... 25
- Woman said she felt protected in ordeal... 19
- Pope meeting with Kim Davis sparks... 14