'Mormons in America' Pew survey explores beliefs, attitudes of LDS Church members
Among other interesting findings of the Pew Forum's survey of Mormons:
71 percent of respondents reside in the American West, including 53 percent who live in the Mountain states and 34 percent who live in Utah;
88 percent are white, 7 percent Hispanic, 1 percent black and 4 percent other racial and ethnic backgrounds;
50 percent say that evangelical Christians are generally unfriendly to Mormons;
54 percent say that the way their religion is portrayed on television and in movies hurts society's image of Mormons;
57 percent of Mormons said that most or all of their close friends are other Mormons (this number was significantly higher in Utah, where the number climbed to 73 percent);
65 percent of respondents say they hold a current temple recommend;
27 percent say they believe in yoga not just as exercise but as a spiritual practice;
11 percent say they believe in reincarnation;
74 percent were raised in the LDS Church;
59 percent of converts cite the church's beliefs as the main reason they joined the church;
59 percent of converts joined the church between the ages of 18 and 35;
27 percent have served a full-time mission, including 43 percent of men and 11 percent of women;
82 percent say they have a supply of food in storage, and 58 percent keep at least a three-month supply.
The margin of error for the survey is +/- 4.5 percentage points.
"I think this survey is a really good summary of the hyper-committed Mormon community that shows up at church every week," Cornwall said. "I'm not sure it captures Mormons on the margins very well, but that's OK — hopefully we can do that the next time. Meanwhile, this is a pretty good picture — and an interesting picture — of Mormons."
Listen to and download audio soundbites of Michael Purdy, spokesman for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, discussing the Pew study:
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- General Women's Session focuses on family, home
- Photo gallery: Holi festival immerses Utahns...
- 'Killing Jesus' takes up middle ground on...
- LDS Church releases Easter video, campaign
- 185th Annual General Conference talk...
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone and...
- Returning LDS missionary, father battling...
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone... 173
- Why I don’t call myself a... 96
- General Women's Session focuses on... 32
- State bills to protect religious... 23
- Millennials are the ‘don’t... 17
- 'Killing Jesus' takes up middle ground... 17
- Taylor Halverson: Learning is becoming... 15
- Indiana Gov. Mike Pence: ‘Not... 13