In his opinion piece, former Gov. Mike Leavitt expresses concern that he saw few young people at his caucus ("A better nominating process," Jan. 8). However, that particular caucus, which I attended, took place in an older Salt Lake City neighborhood that doesn't have many younger families.
As for his position that the Legislature should change the caucus system, I find it curious that he, Sen. Robert Bennett and other former office holders were not criticizing the system when it was benefiting them. The fact that last year's conventions ousted Bennett and gave Rep. Jim Matheson a challenge may be the real reason behind efforts by some for a new system.
- Letter: Disregarding liberty, laws 52
- My view: Move the prison for the sake... 41
- Letter: Trump’s chances 35
- Richard Davis: Time to fix Obamacare... 29
- Dan Liljenquist: Time to relegate the... 27
- Letter: Patriotism has not died 24
- Neil Flinders: Keeping track of school... 21
- My view: Poor federal stewardship... 20