BYU football: Bronco Mendenhall turned down head coach offer
"In being fair to the institution and simply in trying to be realistic, to sign a five-year agreement, man, five is a long time," he said. "And those that sign five-year agreements don't honor them anyway, it seems like. They leave for someplace else or the school fires them. Not that I think that either one of those would happen here. But I don't want to sign an agreement and then not fulfill it. It seemed like three years was reasonable, in terms of growing the program through independence and being completely committed and devoted to this place and having the university continue to keep evaluating if I'm the one that they would like to see leading the program."
Will BYU be his last coaching job?
"I don't know," Mendenhall answered. "Not sure."
Would he be interested in coaching elsewhere?
"It's pretty intriguing because the nation at large would ask that same question and would never consider me leaving here," Mendenhall said. "The No. 1 question is, would I? I'm talking about any interest. My first question to them is, 'Why would I? And what do you have that you're looking for that would be very distinct and different?' If they're not interested in that, I'm not a good fit. But there are some places that are very distinct. I'm not saying these are the places, but if you were to say Army or Navy or Air Force or one of the academies or a strong academic institution, there has to be something else besides football. Otherwise, I wouldn't be interested. I think everyone understands that."
Reynolds to play Shrine Game
BYU senior offensive tackle Matt Reynolds has accepted an invitation to play in the 87th East-West Shrine Game on Jan. 21 at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg, Fla., kicking off at 2 p.m. MST and televised live on the NFL Network. Reynolds started every game for BYU during his four-year career, equaling the program record for the most starts with 52.
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Tanner Mangum is...
- For now, odds are '50-50' that BYU ends up in...
- MWC commissioner says it's probable BYU...
- Jimmer Fredette has BYU-esque performance in...
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl...
- After years of working and dreaming, BYU...
- Tebow’s recent breakup creates divide...
- About Utah: A big deal just got bigger
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best... 110
- College Football: Utah moves back into... 71
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl... 67
- For now, odds are '50-50' that BYU ends... 63
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell... 47
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's... 39
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA... 37
- Brad Rock: Utes need bowl win to avoid... 36