BYU football: Bronco Mendenhall turned down head coach offer
"In being fair to the institution and simply in trying to be realistic, to sign a five-year agreement, man, five is a long time," he said. "And those that sign five-year agreements don't honor them anyway, it seems like. They leave for someplace else or the school fires them. Not that I think that either one of those would happen here. But I don't want to sign an agreement and then not fulfill it. It seemed like three years was reasonable, in terms of growing the program through independence and being completely committed and devoted to this place and having the university continue to keep evaluating if I'm the one that they would like to see leading the program."
Will BYU be his last coaching job?
"I don't know," Mendenhall answered. "Not sure."
Would he be interested in coaching elsewhere?
"It's pretty intriguing because the nation at large would ask that same question and would never consider me leaving here," Mendenhall said. "The No. 1 question is, would I? I'm talking about any interest. My first question to them is, 'Why would I? And what do you have that you're looking for that would be very distinct and different?' If they're not interested in that, I'm not a good fit. But there are some places that are very distinct. I'm not saying these are the places, but if you were to say Army or Navy or Air Force or one of the academies or a strong academic institution, there has to be something else besides football. Otherwise, I wouldn't be interested. I think everyone understands that."
Reynolds to play Shrine Game
BYU senior offensive tackle Matt Reynolds has accepted an invitation to play in the 87th East-West Shrine Game on Jan. 21 at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg, Fla., kicking off at 2 p.m. MST and televised live on the NFL Network. Reynolds started every game for BYU during his four-year career, equaling the program record for the most starts with 52.
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very little
- Felt's Facts Week 2: Utah high school...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- College football predictions: How will... 140
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- First steps: Utes open season with... 55
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 44
- Utah football: Utes eye successful start 42