BYU football: Bronco Mendenhall turned down head coach offer
"In being fair to the institution and simply in trying to be realistic, to sign a five-year agreement, man, five is a long time," he said. "And those that sign five-year agreements don't honor them anyway, it seems like. They leave for someplace else or the school fires them. Not that I think that either one of those would happen here. But I don't want to sign an agreement and then not fulfill it. It seemed like three years was reasonable, in terms of growing the program through independence and being completely committed and devoted to this place and having the university continue to keep evaluating if I'm the one that they would like to see leading the program."
Will BYU be his last coaching job?
"I don't know," Mendenhall answered. "Not sure."
Would he be interested in coaching elsewhere?
"It's pretty intriguing because the nation at large would ask that same question and would never consider me leaving here," Mendenhall said. "The No. 1 question is, would I? I'm talking about any interest. My first question to them is, 'Why would I? And what do you have that you're looking for that would be very distinct and different?' If they're not interested in that, I'm not a good fit. But there are some places that are very distinct. I'm not saying these are the places, but if you were to say Army or Navy or Air Force or one of the academies or a strong academic institution, there has to be something else besides football. Otherwise, I wouldn't be interested. I think everyone understands that."
Reynolds to play Shrine Game
BYU senior offensive tackle Matt Reynolds has accepted an invitation to play in the 87th East-West Shrine Game on Jan. 21 at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg, Fla., kicking off at 2 p.m. MST and televised live on the NFL Network. Reynolds started every game for BYU during his four-year career, equaling the program record for the most starts with 52.
- Utah Jazz legend John Stockton, Weber State...
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look at...
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Hill, Whittingham meet after football...
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act together
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave Christensen...
- Injury-riddled BYU set to host WCC powerhouse...
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 174
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 117
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 74
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 61
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 52
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 52