DENVER — Investigators are interviewing people about the death of a soldier from Houston whose body was found in her barracks at a Colorado infantry post, but no one has been arrested or charged, the Army said Wednesday.
The body of Brandy Fonteneaux, 28, was found Sunday at Fort Carson outside Colorado Springs. Her death is being investigated as a homicide. Officials haven't said how she was killed.
Investigators have said they don't believe anyone else is in danger.
Agents from the Army Criminal Investigation Command are "aggressively" investigating the case, said Chris Grey, a spokesman for the command.
He declined to say whether the people being interviewed are considered witnesses, suspects or friends of Fonteneaux.
KKTV in Colorado Springs quoted Fonteneaux's family as saying she was stabbed and was found unclothed. The Army won't comment on the report.
Fonteneaux's mother and sister declined to comment on the record to The Associated Press.
Fonteneaux lived in the barracks where she was found, Grey said. Grey declined to say whether she was killed in the barracks or some other place.
Fonteneaux held the rank of specialist and had been in the Army two years. She was a food operations specialist in the 4th Engineer Battalion.
KHOU-TV in Houston said acquaintances described her as kind and lively.
"She might have been small in stature, but big at heart," said Herman Shelton, a graduate student at Texas Southern University, where Fonteneaux graduated. "She was the life of the party, just a good person to be around."
Brandy Gilford, another Texas Southern graduate, said she spent time with Fonteneaux during the holidays and spoke to her the night before she died.
"She didn't say anything about having problems. She was happy go lucky," Gilford said.
Follow Dan Elliott at http://twitter.com//DanElliottAP
- Calliop, Jag and Tintin: Here's a look at 20...
- Walmart, Kmart 'Layaway Angels' spreading...
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- Putin defends Russian conservative values
- Little difference between PG-13 and R-rated...
- WestJet airline video goes viral as Santa...
- What you think of welfare program depends on...
- 'Affluenza' defense, sentence in Texas teen's...
- Can Mandela's legacy revive the GOP? 32
- India government likely to review... 26
- What you think of welfare program... 25
- Health care debate about presidential... 24
- Putin defends Russian conservative values 24
- Health care signups increase to... 23
- Looking beyond the premium is a... 17
- Little difference between PG-13 and... 14