DENVER — Investigators are interviewing people about the death of a soldier from Houston whose body was found in her barracks at a Colorado infantry post, but no one has been arrested or charged, the Army said Wednesday.
The body of Brandy Fonteneaux, 28, was found Sunday at Fort Carson outside Colorado Springs. Her death is being investigated as a homicide. Officials haven't said how she was killed.
Investigators have said they don't believe anyone else is in danger.
Agents from the Army Criminal Investigation Command are "aggressively" investigating the case, said Chris Grey, a spokesman for the command.
He declined to say whether the people being interviewed are considered witnesses, suspects or friends of Fonteneaux.
KKTV in Colorado Springs quoted Fonteneaux's family as saying she was stabbed and was found unclothed. The Army won't comment on the report.
Fonteneaux's mother and sister declined to comment on the record to The Associated Press.
Fonteneaux lived in the barracks where she was found, Grey said. Grey declined to say whether she was killed in the barracks or some other place.
Fonteneaux held the rank of specialist and had been in the Army two years. She was a food operations specialist in the 4th Engineer Battalion.
KHOU-TV in Houston said acquaintances described her as kind and lively.
"She might have been small in stature, but big at heart," said Herman Shelton, a graduate student at Texas Southern University, where Fonteneaux graduated. "She was the life of the party, just a good person to be around."
Brandy Gilford, another Texas Southern graduate, said she spent time with Fonteneaux during the holidays and spoke to her the night before she died.
"She didn't say anything about having problems. She was happy go lucky," Gilford said.
Follow Dan Elliott at http://twitter.com//DanElliottAP
- Live at the GOP convention: Donald Trump...
- Trump campaign dismisses criticism of Melania...
- No charges for St. Louis officers who killed...
- Group: Half of Syrian refugee kids in Lebanon...
- Marilyn Monroe's tresses and dresses going up...
- India lifts ban but Kashmir papers not...
- Poll: Many Brazilians think Olympic Games...
- Turkey fires 24,000 teachers, police in coup...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah... 64
- Trump campaign dismisses criticism of... 49
- Did the Republican Party just adopt the... 48
- Obama rejects Trump depiction of US in... 39
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 30
- Trump speechwriter apologizes for... 27