Conroy said his "gut feeling" was Oklahoma State's offense, which was third in the nation at 550 yards per game, would have prevailed against Alabama's top-ranked defense, which allowed 183 yards per game.
"It would have been a great game and it would be nice to see a plus-one system in the future," he said.
The plus-one is a four-team playoff BCS officials say they to plan to consider as the future format for the postseason.
Gee said he gave LSU the top spot as a reward for "their full body of work."
LSU won the SEC title by beating No. 19 Georgia in the league championship game, and won six games away from home, including wins over No. 4 Oregon and No. 17 West Virginia. None of the top three teams faced as tough a schedule. And the Tigers did split with Alabama.
Gee insisted this was not a protest vote against the BCS or a way to get attention.
"This was not a publicity stunt," he said. "This is my opinion.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 105
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 97
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 79
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 64
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 49
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 46
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43