LITTLE ROCK, Ark. — Police refused to say Tuesday whether a device they removed from the leg of a 73-year-old woman who was forced to try to rob an Arkansas bank was actually a bomb.
Fayetteville Police Sgt. Craig Stout said Tuesday that the bomb squad didn't detonate the device after safely removing it from Betty Davis's leg on Monday. But he declined to say whether it could have exploded or not.
"Mrs. Davis felt that it was an explosive device. The employees in the bank felt that it was an explosive device. And even the responding officers looked at it and thought that it was suspicious enough that they were going to contact the ... bomb squad," Stout told The Associated Press.
Davis entered the Fayetteville bank and told employees she had a bomb strapped to her ankle. Everyone was able to leave the building safely before the bomb squad got to work removing the device.
Davis told police that a man had been holding her and her husband hostage in their home outside of town, and sheriff's deputies dispatched to the home found her husband tied up inside but unhurt. No one else was there, the sheriff's office said in a statement.
Authorities have said they believe Davis and her husband are telling the truth.
It's not clear whether surveillance video from the bank or nearby businesses show the suspect, whom Davis described as a white man wearing blue jeans. Police hadn't released any footage.
"Hopefully we will be able to get something more detailed (Tuesday)," Stout said.
Authorities believe the suspect told Davis what to do before the two of them drove to the bank in separate vehicles, Stout said. The suspect was driving the couple's pickup truck and had taken a weapon from the home; Davis was driving her car.
Police recovered the abandoned truck and shotgun later Monday in a park a few miles away.
The FBI is also investigating the case, but spokesman Steve Frazier declined to comment.
- Live at the GOP convention: Donald Trump...
- Cruz: Not supporting candidate who wages...
- Rupert Murdoch vows Fox News without Ailes is...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Kaine emerges as a favorite in Clinton's VP...
- Hundreds of demonstrators gather on...
- Fox needs to find a successor to man who...
- Brazil nabs 10 IS backers in Olympics...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 94
- Obama rejects Trump depiction of US in... 41
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 32
- Police give all-clear in Munich... 31
- Dems' division, emails roil party on... 28
- In wake of email hack, Democratic chair... 23
- Cruz: Not supporting candidate who... 21
- Daughter Ivanka Trump raises issues... 21