The road next season will be a little harder. The Tide opens against Michigan at Cowboys Stadium outside Dallas and has road games against Arkansas and an LSU team that figures to be loaded once again.
This defense will be hard to top, too. The Tide held LSU to 92 total yards and five first downs, the ninth time this season an opponent hasn't scored in double digits and the team's third shutout.
Saban left no doubt he still has the passion to coach. Alabama fans can rest easy, as he said no retirement to his lake house in north Georgia is imminent.
Still got that fire, coach?
"When a guy jumps offsides with three minutes left in the game, and you still coach your team like the first game of the season, what do you think?" Saban said.
Maybe he's also realized that winning isn't the only thing
"I really do think that maybe the only thing that's changed about me is winning the game is not enough," he said. "It really is not enough."
Also important: "Doing it the right way ... which also includes serving other people, which I think is one of the big things that this team did."
Saban left New Orleans with a different enduring image from one that got plenty of airtime after the Tide beat Texas two years ago in Pasadena and enforced public perception of a dour Type A-plus personality. He was captured grimacing after a celebratory dousing, later explaining that he was reacting to getting bumped on the head by the cooler.
This time, he was left wet but unhurt.
"I enjoyed the Gatorade bath two years ago," Saban said. "I wasn't expecting it and got kind of almost knocked out. The players improved in terms of their ability to deliver. I improved on my ability to accept, and everybody was happy."
- The Utah football 100: Ranking the best...
- New York Jets waive former BYU quarterback...
- BYU basketball: What we learned from 4 games...
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU best-case,...
- Friday night lights: Live coverage of the...
- Langi, Tuiloma to help anchor middle of BYU's...
- BYU football position preview: The...
- Dick Harmon: BYU workhorse running back Nate...
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 68
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 59
- Morning links: Cougars examined by USA... 56
- Rock On: Sarkisian runs afoul of BYU... 39
- BYU football: Lone Peak's Jackson... 31
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 28
- Morning links: Utes are the Pac-12's 'X... 27
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 27