The road next season will be a little harder. The Tide opens against Michigan at Cowboys Stadium outside Dallas and has road games against Arkansas and an LSU team that figures to be loaded once again.
This defense will be hard to top, too. The Tide held LSU to 92 total yards and five first downs, the ninth time this season an opponent hasn't scored in double digits and the team's third shutout.
Saban left no doubt he still has the passion to coach. Alabama fans can rest easy, as he said no retirement to his lake house in north Georgia is imminent.
Still got that fire, coach?
"When a guy jumps offsides with three minutes left in the game, and you still coach your team like the first game of the season, what do you think?" Saban said.
Maybe he's also realized that winning isn't the only thing
"I really do think that maybe the only thing that's changed about me is winning the game is not enough," he said. "It really is not enough."
Also important: "Doing it the right way ... which also includes serving other people, which I think is one of the big things that this team did."
Saban left New Orleans with a different enduring image from one that got plenty of airtime after the Tide beat Texas two years ago in Pasadena and enforced public perception of a dour Type A-plus personality. He was captured grimacing after a celebratory dousing, later explaining that he was reacting to getting bumped on the head by the cooler.
This time, he was left wet but unhurt.
"I enjoyed the Gatorade bath two years ago," Saban said. "I wasn't expecting it and got kind of almost knocked out. The players improved in terms of their ability to deliver. I improved on my ability to accept, and everybody was happy."
- With Boston out, another Salt Lake Olympics...
- Morning links: Tom Hackett is the Utes' most...
- Lindon father of five sets world record in...
- Brad Rock: Faith helped infamous former MLB...
- Cougars say they have learned lessons in wake...
- Eight BYU, Utah players make the Polynesian...
- Ute women's basketball program shooting for...
- Family man: Former Ute, NFL standout Sione...
- Morning links: Utah is on the rise in... 71
- Phil Steele gives tempered assessment... 68
- BYU looking for another defensive... 33
- Utah Utes backup quarterback Donovan... 26
- Morning links: Tom Hackett is the Utes'... 26
- With Boston out, another Salt Lake... 14
- Cougars say they have learned lessons... 14
- Kincade: Poor shooting, signings have... 11