OSHKOSH, Wis. — Divers have recovered the body of the Green Bay Packers' offensive coordinator's son from an icy Wisconsin River, but police said Tuesday they do not suspect foul play.
Michael Philbin, 21, disappeared at about 2 a.m. Sunday after an outing with friends in the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh campus area, about 50 miles from Green Bay.
Police had been searching the Fox River since Sunday evening, after a security guard reported hearing cries for help from someone on the ice. Divers found his body near the campus on Monday. He is the son of offensive coordinator Joe Philbin.
An autopsy was scheduled for Tuesday. Results are not expected for at least a month. Oshkosh Police Chief Scott Greuel said Tuesday they suspect no foul play.
Grueul said they delayed releasing Philbin's identity out of respect for his family's privacy and because there's no threat to public safety. Greuel declined to release any details of how Philbin became separated from his friends, saying the investigating continues.
Packers coach Mike McCarthy addressed the situation during his regular news conference Monday afternoon.
"The Philbin family is obviously going through a tough time right now, and as we always have, we're a family-first philosophy with our organization, with our program," McCarthy said.
News of Michael Philbin's disappearance has made for difficult days in Green Bay, where the Packers are preparing for Sunday's NFC divisional playoff game against the New York Giants at Lambeau Field.
"Our thoughts and prayers are with the Philbin family during this difficult time," Packers general manager Ted Thompson said in a statement Monday.
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 104
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 45
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 30
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 21
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 15
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 8
- Former BYU guard Cory Calvert to... 7