OSHKOSH, Wis. — Divers have recovered the body of the Green Bay Packers' offensive coordinator's son from an icy Wisconsin River, but police said Tuesday they do not suspect foul play.
Michael Philbin, 21, disappeared at about 2 a.m. Sunday after an outing with friends in the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh campus area, about 50 miles from Green Bay.
Police had been searching the Fox River since Sunday evening, after a security guard reported hearing cries for help from someone on the ice. Divers found his body near the campus on Monday. He is the son of offensive coordinator Joe Philbin.
An autopsy was scheduled for Tuesday. Results are not expected for at least a month. Oshkosh Police Chief Scott Greuel said Tuesday they suspect no foul play.
Grueul said they delayed releasing Philbin's identity out of respect for his family's privacy and because there's no threat to public safety. Greuel declined to release any details of how Philbin became separated from his friends, saying the investigating continues.
Packers coach Mike McCarthy addressed the situation during his regular news conference Monday afternoon.
"The Philbin family is obviously going through a tough time right now, and as we always have, we're a family-first philosophy with our organization, with our program," McCarthy said.
News of Michael Philbin's disappearance has made for difficult days in Green Bay, where the Packers are preparing for Sunday's NFC divisional playoff game against the New York Giants at Lambeau Field.
"Our thoughts and prayers are with the Philbin family during this difficult time," Packers general manager Ted Thompson said in a statement Monday.
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Utah Jazz: Hugh Greenwood isn’t just a...
- Photo gallery: NFL players with local ties...
- Salt Lake Olympic scandal 'set a precedent'...
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games ranked...
- Video: Former BYU outfielder Jacob...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 87
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 50
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 49
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 48
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 27
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 14
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8