"We don't live in that world," he said. "We don't make excuses in regards to injuries. The guys we put on the field were capable of doing the job and the reason we didn't do the job is because we didn't perform."
Making his first appearance in the playoffs after going 7-4 as Denver's starter, Tebow outdueled Roethlisberger, a two-time Super Bowl winner, who fell to 10-4 in the playoffs. The Broncos also snapped a three-game losing streak that had many wondering if they were even worthy of their first playoff appearance in six seasons.
Turns out, maybe they were.
"We're just a fighting team — a lot of resilience," cornerback Champ Bailey said. "In any adverse situation, we'll find a way to get out of it.
"Everybody says we backed into the playoffs — we're in. We did something right along the way."
With Tebow leading the way, unorthodox style and all.
"He won. That's all that matters," safety Troy Polamalu said of Tebow. "They won, I should say.
"They'll be able to play New England next week and that will be a good challenge for them."
Notes: Steelers RB Isaac Redman, filling in for Mendenhall, finished with 121 yards rushing. He nearly scored on a long run, but was brought down at the 1. On the next play, WR Mike Wallace took a handoff from Roethlisberger and coasted into the end zone. ... Pittsburgh was kept from its 34th playoff win, which would have broken a tie with the Cowboys for the most ever. ... Broncos WR Eric Decker was lost to a left knee injury on the first play of the second quarter when he was hit low by LB James Harrison.
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings University of...
- Morning links: Steve Young quotes Joseph...
- Brad Rock: GameDay is quite the day in Utah
- BYU vs. East Carolina: How to attend, watch,...
- BYU football: East Carolina in 6 numbers
- High school football roundup for Friday, Oct. 9
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Utah and Utah State should...
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 54
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 46
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 41
- Utah Utes football: The California... 30
- Utes back in the college football... 27
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings... 27
- BYU coaches continue helping players... 22
- Underrated East Carolina will test... 20