BIRMINGHAM, Ala. — SMU has not lost this season when it scores first or puts up at least 21 points.
The Mustangs were quick to check off both benchmarks to give coach June Jones his 100th collegiate win.
SMU put up three first-quarter touchdowns, including scoring runs and passes by J.J. McDermott, to beat Pittsburgh 28-6 Saturday in the BBVA Compass Bowl.
"I'm really proud of the defense," Jones said. "Really the defense has been that way all year. They've been the reason we've won eight games. We haven't been as sharp on offense as we've been in years past."
Rishaad Wimbley ran for two scores for SMU (8-5), which tied a school record by playing in its third straight bowl under Jones. Before Jones' arrival in in 2008, SMU had played in the postseason since beating Notre Dame in the 1984 Aloha Bowl.
Jones said he didn't talk to his players about his approaching milestone, but he said his 100th win as a college coach "means a lot to me."
"I'll never forget these guys for that win," he said.
McDermott completed 16 of 26 passes for 239 yards and a touchdown, to Darius Johnson early in the first.
Pittsburgh (6-7) was held without a first down and fell behind 21-0 in the first quarter. Kevin Harper kicked field goals of 32 and 34 yards.
The Panthers were coached by defensive coordinator Keith Patterson, who took over after Todd Graham left to coach at Arizona State. It was Patterson last game before he starts his new job as the defensive coordinator at Arkansas State.
Attendance was 29,726.
- 2015 Deseret News NFL Mock Draft: Wide...
- Utah Jazz: Derrick Favors continues to make...
- BYU offense looking to move the ball, put up...
- Little offense as main players sit out Ute...
- Dick Harmon: Only joy for BYU's Jordan...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Kyle Whittingham just glad...
- Brad Rock: BYU's window is closing; big year...
- Dave Rose hires May as BYU's director of...
- Brad Rock: BYU's window is closing; big... 90
- Ultimate football road trips:... 48
- Brighton wide receiver Simi Fehoko... 42
- Morning links: Duke in pursuit of Lone... 38
- Morning links: ESPN calls Utah a dark... 34
- BYU edges Utah, 7-6, with eighth-inning... 32
- BYU's basketball roster undergoing... 29
- Doug Robinson: Lindsey's bold moves... 22