Golden State Warriors still not at full strength heading into game with Jazz
Ben Margot, Associated Press
OAKLAND, Calif. In search of their first road win, the Utah Jazz are getting another team that's not at full strength.
The Golden State Warriors will be without explosive scorer Stephen Curry for tonight's 8:30 MT game at Oracle Arena. Curry, who averages 15.2 points and 5.6 assists, is sidelined with a sprained right ankle.
The Warriors (2-5) will, however, have 7-foot center Andris Biedrins available for action off the bench. The big man missed Friday's loss to the Lakers with a sprained right ankle and toe.
Utah, which has won three straight games but is winless in three road trips this season, will not have rarely used small forward Jeremy Evans. He is at the team hotel with a stomach virus.
Even though the Warriors are limited, Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin said Utah must play its style in order to snap this season's three-game losing streak.
"Their speed allows them to get into the open court," Corbin said. "And if you play an uptempo game with them and they're making shots and you're not, it can be a tough night for you."
The Jazz found that out the hard way last year, losing twice in 2010-11 85-78 and 96-81.
Monta Ellis has struggled at times against Utah in the past, but the guard is averaging 22.8 points and 8.5 assists.
"You've got to make sure you control the tempo of the game," Corbin said. "You've go to slow them down and make them play your half-court sets. Run on your opportunities, but make sure you play in a tempo that is favorable to you and not to them."
The game will be televised on ROOT Sports.
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Massive crowd engulfs Cleveland, champion...
- Chile beats Colombia 2-0 to return to Copa...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 25
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 24
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 24
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 14