ANCHORAGE, Alaska — The league-leading Alaska Aces (24-5-2-3) defeated the Utah Grizzlies (15-14-0-3) 4-1 Thursday night in Anchorage, as they added two goals in the final four minutes to open up a 2-1 game.
Utah goaltender Andrew Engelage returned to the lineup in strong fashion and stopped 38 of 41 shots in his first game since Dec. 14.
Alaska built a 1-0 lead just 2:05 into the game on a power-play goal and made it 2-0 12:02 into the first period.
Utah struck back to make it 2-1 at the first intermission with leading scorer Mitch Fadden making his 10th goal of the year with six seconds left in the frame just nine seconds into a power-play. Utah captain Nick Tuzzolino picked up the only assist.
Utah and Alaska meet again Friday and Saturday in Anchorage at 9:15 p.m.
The Grizzlies return home Friday, Jan. 13 to host Idaho at 7:05 p.m.
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Utah basketball team makes it a doubly-good...
- Sunday morning QB: Stars and stats from No....
- BYU-Memphis an 'intriguing' bowl matchup
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 62
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 50
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28
- Brad Rock: This is where conference... 24