ANCHORAGE, Alaska — The league-leading Alaska Aces (24-5-2-3) defeated the Utah Grizzlies (15-14-0-3) 4-1 Thursday night in Anchorage, as they added two goals in the final four minutes to open up a 2-1 game.
Utah goaltender Andrew Engelage returned to the lineup in strong fashion and stopped 38 of 41 shots in his first game since Dec. 14.
Alaska built a 1-0 lead just 2:05 into the game on a power-play goal and made it 2-0 12:02 into the first period.
Utah struck back to make it 2-1 at the first intermission with leading scorer Mitch Fadden making his 10th goal of the year with six seconds left in the frame just nine seconds into a power-play. Utah captain Nick Tuzzolino picked up the only assist.
Utah and Alaska meet again Friday and Saturday in Anchorage at 9:15 p.m.
The Grizzlies return home Friday, Jan. 13 to host Idaho at 7:05 p.m.
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's volleyball...
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner chasing...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting niche
- Morning links: NBA post-up is not dead;...
- Former Ute player among those invited to work...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 47
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 46
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 38
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 36
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders... 31
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 12
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8