ANCHORAGE, Alaska — The league-leading Alaska Aces (24-5-2-3) defeated the Utah Grizzlies (15-14-0-3) 4-1 Thursday night in Anchorage, as they added two goals in the final four minutes to open up a 2-1 game.
Utah goaltender Andrew Engelage returned to the lineup in strong fashion and stopped 38 of 41 shots in his first game since Dec. 14.
Alaska built a 1-0 lead just 2:05 into the game on a power-play goal and made it 2-0 12:02 into the first period.
Utah struck back to make it 2-1 at the first intermission with leading scorer Mitch Fadden making his 10th goal of the year with six seconds left in the frame just nine seconds into a power-play. Utah captain Nick Tuzzolino picked up the only assist.
Utah and Alaska meet again Friday and Saturday in Anchorage at 9:15 p.m.
The Grizzlies return home Friday, Jan. 13 to host Idaho at 7:05 p.m.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- Utah Jazz: Red-hot Jazz shock the Kings, 122-101
- NFL watch: How local players fared in week 14...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- Mountain View hires former Timpview head...
- Power rankings: Pac-12, WCC, MWC men's...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 101
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 82
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 70
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 51
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 51
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Utah Utes basketball: AD Chris Hill... 37