ANCHORAGE, Alaska — The league-leading Alaska Aces (24-5-2-3) defeated the Utah Grizzlies (15-14-0-3) 4-1 Thursday night in Anchorage, as they added two goals in the final four minutes to open up a 2-1 game.
Utah goaltender Andrew Engelage returned to the lineup in strong fashion and stopped 38 of 41 shots in his first game since Dec. 14.
Alaska built a 1-0 lead just 2:05 into the game on a power-play goal and made it 2-0 12:02 into the first period.
Utah struck back to make it 2-1 at the first intermission with leading scorer Mitch Fadden making his 10th goal of the year with six seconds left in the frame just nine seconds into a power-play. Utah captain Nick Tuzzolino picked up the only assist.
Utah and Alaska meet again Friday and Saturday in Anchorage at 9:15 p.m.
The Grizzlies return home Friday, Jan. 13 to host Idaho at 7:05 p.m.
- Jeff Gordon readies for the Brickyard in...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 100
- Morning links: National college... 98
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 80
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 34
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 31
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 7
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 7