Ravell Call, Deseret News
CHENEY, Wash. — Damian Lillard scored 12 of his game-high 30 points in the final 7:34, carrying Weber State to a 76-69 victory over Eastern Washington on Thursday night.
Scott Bamforth added 19 points for the Wildcats (11-3, 3-0 Big Sky). Cliff Ederaine scored 20 points and Cliff Colimon had 18 for the Eagles (7-8, 1-2).
After a Jeffrey Forbes basket pulled Eastern Washington within 60-58 with 6:30 left, Weber State answered with four quick points, including a 3-pointer by Lillard — the NCAA Division I scoring leader at 25.2 points per game — that pushed the Wildcats' lead back to six. Eastern Washington never got closer than five the rest of the way.
Behind Lillard, who made his first five shots, Weber State raced to a 27-10 lead midway through the first half. Eastern Washington rallied for a 39-38 advantage on Laron Griffin's three-point play with 17:45 left in the game.
SOUTH DAKOTA STATE 75, SOUTHERN UTAH 68: At Cedar City, Nate Wolters scored 28 points and Chad White added 13 to lead South Dakota State to a 7victory against Southern Utah.
Griffan Callahan and Brayden Carlson had 10 points each for the Jackrabbits (13-4, 5-0 Summit League), who set up a conference first-place showdown at Oral Roberts on Saturday. The Golden Eagles are 5-0 in Summit play.
Jackson Stevenett scored 25 points and Matt Massey added 17 points and 10 rebounds for the Thunderbirds (7-8, 3-2).
South Dakota State shot 53.8 percent (14 of 26) in the second half to overcome a 32-31 halftime deficit.
Callahan and White hit 3-pointers to bookend a 13-4 run over a 4:01 second-half stretch. That gave the Jackrabbits a 69-59 lead with 2:53 remaining, and Southern Utah got no closer than five points the rest of the way.
SOUTHERN IDAHO 76, SALT LAKE COMMUNITY COLLEGE 68: At Twin Falls, fifth-ranked SLCC was defeated on the road by No. 12 Southern Idaho. Twenty-three costly turnovers and 37 percent shooting led to the defeat. With the loss, SLCC falls to 13-3 overall and 0-1 in conference play.
Five Bruins finished in double digits in the loss led by Skyler Halford with 18 points on 8 of 15 shooting. Agustin Ambrosino scored 12.
- Former Cougar star Jackson Emery shares...
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much money...
- BYU basketball: Breaking down UMass, Cougars'...
- Cougars in the pros: Austin Collie re-signs...
- Breaking down UMass, BYU basketball's next...
- BYU football: Cougars have gotten solid...
- Utah Jazz: Derrick Favors, Enes Kanter...
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged to Miss...
- Mike Sorensen: Despite disappointing... 192
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 102
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 60
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 58
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 50
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 48
- BYU basketball: 3 players record... 47
- Dick Harmon: USC taps BYU experience... 44