SANTA CLARA, Calif. — Perhaps the most personal thing Trent Baalke has shared about his life is that he regularly runs to the top of a mountain in nearby Fremont.
The San Francisco 49ers general manager cherishes his role behind the scenes. Jim Harbaugh can be the face of the franchise as far as he's concerned.
Within days of being promoted last year, Baalke faced the daunting task of landing Harbaugh as the team's new coach.
People were losing patience with all the losing — and demanded an immediate turnaround after an eight-year playoff drought.
Amid speculation that Harbaugh might leave Stanford for the Miami Dolphins or even his alma mater, Michigan, Baalke delivered the Niners' high-profile new man. It brought Baalke some instant credibility, along with other spot-on moves.
- High school football: Top 25 preseason rankings
- ACC media days has some interesting tidbits...
- Some fringe Jazz players opened eyes in Vegas
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to expand,...
- BYU football: Alani Fua may be next Cougar...
- Brain injury changes the lives and tests the...
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is an...
- Former BYU defensive lineman Eathyn...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 167
- Report: Former BYU guard Jimmer... 73
- BYU freshman linebacker reportedly... 72
- BYU's Jamaal Williams, Utah State's Joe... 58
- Peavler: Arizona vice president of... 52
- ACC media days has some interesting... 35
- Brad Rock: Decades later, equality... 30
- Watch list roundup: 22 local players... 26