SANTA CLARA, Calif. — Perhaps the most personal thing Trent Baalke has shared about his life is that he regularly runs to the top of a mountain in nearby Fremont.
The San Francisco 49ers general manager cherishes his role behind the scenes. Jim Harbaugh can be the face of the franchise as far as he's concerned.
Within days of being promoted last year, Baalke faced the daunting task of landing Harbaugh as the team's new coach.
People were losing patience with all the losing — and demanded an immediate turnaround after an eight-year playoff drought.
Amid speculation that Harbaugh might leave Stanford for the Miami Dolphins or even his alma mater, Michigan, Baalke delivered the Niners' high-profile new man. It brought Baalke some instant credibility, along with other spot-on moves.
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Utah basketball team makes it a doubly-good...
- Sunday morning QB: Stars and stats from No....
- BYU-Memphis an 'intriguing' bowl matchup
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 62
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 50
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28
- Brad Rock: This is where conference... 24