What they're saying about the Southeastern Conference, which is assured of its sixth straight BCS national championship in Monday night's title game between No. 1 LSU and No. 2 Alabama:
Utah coach Kyle Whittingham:
"They've won five or six national championships in a row and, at least the last time I checked, had more players in the NFL than any conference."
Stanford RB Jeremy Stewart:
"They definitely get more publicity than any other conference, so I think it makes it pretty easy for people to only think that it's the SEC and then everyone else. I think that plays a big part into it."
West Virginia coach Dana Holgorsen:
"If people are tired of hearing about it, somebody ought to beat them."
Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy:
"People see the SEC different than they do any other conference. ... It's deservingly so because they have won in the big game. But, in my opinion, from top to bottom the Big 12 was the strongest league in the country this year."
Clemson QB Tajh Boyd:
"I do feel like they get first dibs on everything. They're a great conference, don't get me wrong. When we get the opportunity to play against those teams, we just have to take advantage of it. If we don't, that proves everybody right about the SEC being the best conference."
West Virginia CB Keith Tandy:
"They've got two teams in the national championship game, and they've won five championships in a row, so I think it speaks for itself."
Wake Forest coach Jim Grobe
"The SEC right now is the strongest conference in the country. Compare them to any conference, not just the ACC. From a football perspective, right now the SEC's king."
West Virginia QB Geno Smith, a native of Miami:
"I believe they get everything they deserve because those guys take football seriously. I'm not saying other conferences don't. But there's just something about the football down there in the South. Me coming from the South, I know all about it. It's just different from anywhere else."
AP Sports Writers Lynn DeBruin in Salt Lake City, John Raby in Morgantown, W.Va., John Marshall in Phoenix, Steven Wine in Miami, Jeff Latzke in Stillwater, Okla., and Teresa Walker in Nashville, Tenn., contributed to this report.
- BYU football: Cougars to play Washington in...
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes coming...
- Dick Harmon: John Beck very impressed with...
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle Whittingham...
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- Former Cougar Dennis Pitta scores first...
- Utah State football: Aggies will take on No....
- Utah Jazz: Derrick Favors, Marvin Williams...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 97
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 63
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 52
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 46
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 33
- BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog:... 27
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 27