Lynne Sladky, Associated Press
MIAMI — Geno Smith tied a record for any bowl game with six touchdown passes, including four to Tavon Austin, and No. 23 West Virginia set a bowl scoring record by beating No. 14 Clemson 70-33 on Wednesday in the Orange Bowl.
Darwin Cook's 99-yard fumble return for a touchdown was one of the Mountaineers' five TDs in the second quarter, including three in the final 2:29 for a 49-20 lead. It was the highest-scoring half by a team in a bowl game.
Austin's four TD receptions tied a record for any bowl game, and Smith broke Tom Brady's Orange Bowl record with 401 yards passing. West Virginia's point total broke the bowl record established six nights earlier when Baylor beat Washington 67-56 in the Alamo Bowl.
- Source: Kyle Whittingham not being forced out...
- Amy Donaldson: South Jordan mom eyes Boston...
- Brad Rock: Silence is the wrong approach for...
- Meet the 21 Utah ties on the NFL playoff rosters
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act together
- Bingham nearly topples undefeated Florida...
- BYU seeks first conference victory when...
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look at...
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 75
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 63
- Source: Kyle Whittingham not being... 45
- Hill, Whittingham meet after football... 41
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act... 39
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look... 22
- Brad Rock: Silence is the wrong... 18
- Dick Harmon: BYU starters lose 3-point... 15