Median age: 38.1.
Percentage of population 65 and over: 14.9 percent.
91.3 percent white, 2.9 percent black, 5 percent Hispanic or Latino origin, 1.7 percent Asian.
Language other than English spoken at home: 6.4 percent.
High school graduate: 89.6 percent.
Bachelor's degree or higher: 24.2 percent.
Median household income: $48,065.
People below poverty level: 11.8 percent.
Homeownership rate: 72.9 percent.
2008 presidential results:
Barack Obama, 54 percent; John McCain, 44 percent.
Iowa quick facts:
Iowa is the nation's leader in production of hogs, corn, soybeans and eggs.
Roughly 90 percent of the state's land is farmed.
Though known for its farms, nearly 60 percent of Iowans live in cities. The largest is Des Moines, followed by Cedar Rapids and Davenport.
Iowa is one of six states where same-sex marriage is legal, following a 2009 Iowa Supreme Court decision.
Iowa's population is growing, but slowly. The state will drop to four congressional seats in 2012.
The state's unemployment rate has held below national levels and stands at 5.7 percent.
- Turkey-Russia spat over downed Russian...
- White House undergoes holiday lockdown after...
- Police: 3 killed, 9 wounded in attack at...
- Bigotry? Hatred? Christians say they’re...
- Elder Ballard visits refugee camps in Germany...
- Farm recalls produce used in Costco salad...
- Black Friday mayhem: A tale of humor and...
- Local free community college plans may be...
- Bigotry? Hatred? Christians say... 96
- Obama admin says states lack authority... 34
- Donald Trump says he'd bring back... 26
- Elder Ballard visits refugee camps in... 24
- Kerry: US trying to speed up efforts to... 23
- Obama pledges solidarity with France,... 19
- Turkey downs Russian jet it says... 17
- Officer charged with murder in teen's... 17