Median age: 38.1.
Percentage of population 65 and over: 14.9 percent.
91.3 percent white, 2.9 percent black, 5 percent Hispanic or Latino origin, 1.7 percent Asian.
Language other than English spoken at home: 6.4 percent.
High school graduate: 89.6 percent.
Bachelor's degree or higher: 24.2 percent.
Median household income: $48,065.
People below poverty level: 11.8 percent.
Homeownership rate: 72.9 percent.
2008 presidential results:
Barack Obama, 54 percent; John McCain, 44 percent.
Iowa quick facts:
Iowa is the nation's leader in production of hogs, corn, soybeans and eggs.
Roughly 90 percent of the state's land is farmed.
Though known for its farms, nearly 60 percent of Iowans live in cities. The largest is Des Moines, followed by Cedar Rapids and Davenport.
Iowa is one of six states where same-sex marriage is legal, following a 2009 Iowa Supreme Court decision.
Iowa's population is growing, but slowly. The state will drop to four congressional seats in 2012.
The state's unemployment rate has held below national levels and stands at 5.7 percent.
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host a...
- Another American hostage at risk by Islamic...
- Police, protesters collide again in Ferguson
- Colleges add luxury touches to new football...
- Facebook makes the most obvious move ever...
- Twitter tries to block images of James Foley...
- Allow student loan bankruptcies, but hold...
- Texas Gov. Perry assembles high-powered legal...
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host... 40
- 'Don't know' if Missouri teen shot with... 25
- Police, protesters collide again in... 24
- Texas Gov. Perry says indictment is... 22
- Obama heading back to DC in rare... 21
- Texas Gov. Perry assembles high-powered... 21
- Texas' Perry indicted for coercion for... 19
- Police identify Missouri officer who... 16