Median age: 38.1.
Percentage of population 65 and over: 14.9 percent.
91.3 percent white, 2.9 percent black, 5 percent Hispanic or Latino origin, 1.7 percent Asian.
Language other than English spoken at home: 6.4 percent.
High school graduate: 89.6 percent.
Bachelor's degree or higher: 24.2 percent.
Median household income: $48,065.
People below poverty level: 11.8 percent.
Homeownership rate: 72.9 percent.
2008 presidential results:
Barack Obama, 54 percent; John McCain, 44 percent.
Iowa quick facts:
Iowa is the nation's leader in production of hogs, corn, soybeans and eggs.
Roughly 90 percent of the state's land is farmed.
Though known for its farms, nearly 60 percent of Iowans live in cities. The largest is Des Moines, followed by Cedar Rapids and Davenport.
Iowa is one of six states where same-sex marriage is legal, following a 2009 Iowa Supreme Court decision.
Iowa's population is growing, but slowly. The state will drop to four congressional seats in 2012.
The state's unemployment rate has held below national levels and stands at 5.7 percent.
- Compromise could fix Kentucky's wedding...
- Video: Key and Peele show what it would look...
- Working moms weigh in on Marissa Mayer's...
- Kentucky clerk still won't issue same-sex...
- Gold fever hits Poland with possible...
- AP sources: GOP seeks pledge to avert Trump...
- Ignorance isn't just bliss, it's key to...
- President Uchtdorf dedicates addition to...
- Kentucky clerk still won't issue... 124
- Compromise could fix Kentucky's wedding... 47
- Latest Clinton emails show frustrations... 26
- In Alaska, Obama depicts stark future... 21
- Obama gets Iran deal win as Senate Dems... 20
- Legal experts see no criminal trouble... 15
- Bishop, Chaffetz say EPA knew spill... 15
- GOP presidential hopeful Rand Paul... 13