Median age: 38.1.
Percentage of population 65 and over: 14.9 percent.
91.3 percent white, 2.9 percent black, 5 percent Hispanic or Latino origin, 1.7 percent Asian.
Language other than English spoken at home: 6.4 percent.
High school graduate: 89.6 percent.
Bachelor's degree or higher: 24.2 percent.
Median household income: $48,065.
People below poverty level: 11.8 percent.
Homeownership rate: 72.9 percent.
2008 presidential results:
Barack Obama, 54 percent; John McCain, 44 percent.
Iowa quick facts:
Iowa is the nation's leader in production of hogs, corn, soybeans and eggs.
Roughly 90 percent of the state's land is farmed.
Though known for its farms, nearly 60 percent of Iowans live in cities. The largest is Des Moines, followed by Cedar Rapids and Davenport.
Iowa is one of six states where same-sex marriage is legal, following a 2009 Iowa Supreme Court decision.
Iowa's population is growing, but slowly. The state will drop to four congressional seats in 2012.
The state's unemployment rate has held below national levels and stands at 5.7 percent.
- ACT scores, 2015: A breakdown of each state,...
- Photo gallery: Remembering Katrina 10 years...
- The 25 most educated cities in America: Where...
- Planned Parenthood alleges 'smear' in letter...
- Poll: Utahns would take Donald Trump over...
- Video: Bush returns to New Orleans for 10th...
- Ex-NBA star Darryl Dawkins, aka 'Chocolate...
- 'North Dakota' not among potential new...
- Poll: Utahns would take Donald Trump... 76
- Trump starts new media feud with... 36
- What keeps teachers from staying in the... 34
- GOP presidential candidate Jeb Bush has... 28
- USC's Steve Sarkisian apologizes for... 17
- Planned Parenthood alleges 'smear' in... 17
- Trump says he's proud he booted... 16
- Fired reporter kills 2 former... 16