Median age: 38.1.
Percentage of population 65 and over: 14.9 percent.
91.3 percent white, 2.9 percent black, 5 percent Hispanic or Latino origin, 1.7 percent Asian.
Language other than English spoken at home: 6.4 percent.
High school graduate: 89.6 percent.
Bachelor's degree or higher: 24.2 percent.
Median household income: $48,065.
People below poverty level: 11.8 percent.
Homeownership rate: 72.9 percent.
2008 presidential results:
Barack Obama, 54 percent; John McCain, 44 percent.
Iowa quick facts:
Iowa is the nation's leader in production of hogs, corn, soybeans and eggs.
Roughly 90 percent of the state's land is farmed.
Though known for its farms, nearly 60 percent of Iowans live in cities. The largest is Des Moines, followed by Cedar Rapids and Davenport.
Iowa is one of six states where same-sex marriage is legal, following a 2009 Iowa Supreme Court decision.
Iowa's population is growing, but slowly. The state will drop to four congressional seats in 2012.
The state's unemployment rate has held below national levels and stands at 5.7 percent.
- A world apart: 2 women with birthdates in...
- Convicted killer thought fellow escapee was...
- NBC to Donald Trump: You're fired
- Oklahoma court: Ten Commandments monument...
- Top 10 best road trip spots (and photo...
- Judge rejects motion, clearing way for Steven...
- Don't blink or you might miss the leap second...
- Utahns have mixed reactions to Supreme Court...
- Supreme Court declares nationwide right... 188
- Religious leaders ponder next steps... 59
- Utahns have mixed reactions to Supreme... 58
- White House lit in rainbow colors after... 33
- Oklahoma court: Ten Commandments... 32
- Woman removes Confederate flag in front... 25
- NBC to Donald Trump: You're fired 23
- Vandals target Confederate monuments in... 17