PORTLAND, Oreg. — After a loss at St. Mary's, which snapped a 10-game winning streak, BYU was able to bounce back and secure its first win in the West Coast Conference on the road against the Portland Pilots on Monday, beating the Pilots 79-53.
"It was a good win on the road," head coach Jeff Judkins said. "We're not playing the kind of ball that we need to be playing, but we were able to finish and I'm happy for the win.
Again, Kristen Riley led the Cougars with 19 points, her season best, and 9 rebounds and Haley Steed added five assists and three steals.
Lexi Eaton, after blocking Portland's first shot attempt, scored the first points of the night for the Cougars with a three-pointer, assisted by Haley Steed. Both teams went on a four-minute shooting drought, which was finally broken with a layup by Dani Peterson.
BYU then went on a 14-5 run, leading to a score of 19-5. Although the Cougars had a considerable lead, Portland was able to inch its way back into the game, pulling within one by the end of the first half, 27-26.
The second half began with another Eaton three-pointer, but the scoring from then was back and forth. The Cougars were eventually able to string a 5-0 run, which extended their lead to ten, 38-28.
The Cougars took control and dominated the game from there, finishing the game with a twenty-six point margin, their biggest lead of the game.
"It was very important for us to get this win," Riley said. "After the St. Mary's loss, it was kind of do or die for us and we wanted to get that bad taste out of our mouth."
As a team, BYU was outrebounded Portland grabbing 45 boards to the Pilots 36. BYU also dished out 16 assists to Portland's 12. The Cougars have been able to tally more assists than their opponents in all but one game.
Eaton, a true freshman, added 11 points, picking up her ninth career double-digit performance and Peterson added five blocks.
Natalie Day led the Pilots with 16 points and seven rebounds.
The Cougars return home to take on Loyola Marymount at the Marriott Center Thursday at 5 p.m. MST.
- Dick Harmon: So, another Kaufusi goes hybrid...
- Morning links: BYU's Eric Mika returns from...
- Morning links: 4 Utahns on ESPN 300 football...
- 2016 NFL draft: Local players who might hear...
- BYU football announces full spring fireside...
- Niumatalolo and Navy make another trip to the...
- The BYU international basketball tracker: How...
- BYU basketball: Cougars to play USC Dec. 3 at...
- Morning links: BYU's Eric Mika returns... 67
- BYU basketball: Cougars to play USC... 45
- BYU volleyball: Cougars earn No. 1 seed... 26
- BYU's Kaufusi an intriguing NFL... 26
- Morning links: NFL Draft prospect news... 18
- Oakland Raiders owner says he will... 14
- 2016 NFL draft: Local players who might... 13
- Gobert 'disappointed' with 2015-16 but... 11