HOUSTON — Ryan Tannehill threw for 329 yards and a touchdown and Ben Malena ran for two more scores to lead Texas A&M to a 33-22 win over Northwestern on Saturday in the Meineke Car Care Bowl.
Northwestern led 7-3 early in the second quarter before A&M reeled off 27 straight points to take a decisive lead and then fight off a late rally to capture its first bowl victory since 2001.
Texas A&M broke a five-game bowl losing streak in a win the team dedicated to fired coach Mike Sherman and offensive lineman Joseph Villavisencio, who was killed in a car accident last week.
Malena ran for 77 yards, filling in ably for Cyrus Gray, who missed his second straight game with a stress fracture in his left shoulder.
Northwestern hasn't won a bowl game since the 1949 Rose Bowl, a span of nine losses.
LIBERTY BOWL: Cincinnati 31, Vanderbilt 24
MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) — IsaiahPead ran for 149 yards and a touchdown, and RalphDavidAbernathyIV's 90-yard kickoff return early in the fourth quarter put Cincinnati ahead to stay.
The Bearcats (10-3) capped the season with their third straight victory.
But the co-BigEast Conference champs had to work to put away Vanderbilt (6-7), a team that tied for fourth in the Southeastern Conference, despite forcing three turnovers and coming up with two sacks. The Commodores led 21-17 when Abernathy became the first Cincinnati player to return a kickoff for a TD in the program's 13 bowl appearances.
Vandy's ArchibaldBarnes blocked TonyMiliano's 39-yard field goal with 3:58 left, giving the Commodores the ball with plenty of time to go ahead. NickTemple picked off a LarrySmith pass with 3:15 remaining, and Pead sealed the victory with a 12-yard TD run with 1:52 left.
FIGHT HUNGER BOWL
Iillinois 20, UCLA 14
SANFRANCISCO (AP) — TerryHawthorne returned an interception 39 yards for Illinois' first touchdown late in the third quarter and Illini snapped a six-game losing streak.
NathanScheelhaase added a 60-yard touchdown pass to A.J. Jenkins midway through the fourth quarter to seal the first victory for Illinois (7-6) since beating Indiana 12 weeks ago.
The game between two six-win teams who have already fired their head coaches matched the underwhelming expectations as there was little excitement before Hawthorne's third-quarter touchdown that gave Illinois its first lead.
UCLA (6-8) was held to 18 yards rushing in its third straight loss. KevinPrince threw two TD passes, including one in the closing minute to NelsonRosario after the game had been decided.
- Utah Jazz legend John Stockton, Weber State...
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave Christensen...
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball strength coach...
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Video: Former USU running back Robert...
- Brady Poppinga: Confronting an unlikely opponent
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 174
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 116
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 67
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 59
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 52
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 51