Dick Harmon: BYU football: Cougars add two more memorable plays to their treasure chest
Nelson had the smarts to see he could fake a "clock it" and still reload for a final play of the game from the 1. He was up under center when he realized he had time to fiddle with a couple of shots.
"I thought, I can be quick with this, get it off, give us enough time for two plays," he said. "I yelled to our outside guys the call and gave them the signal and we ran it.
"The corner saw Cody's stance was not a receiver's stance at all. He was standing there waiting for it to get hiked. When Cody took off, the first thing the corner did was sprint back to not get beat on a fade. I had Cody's eyes. He stopped. I was able to put the ball back shoulder. Great play by him."
Well, great play by Nelson — the stuff of legends, Top 10 lists and future DVDs.
Friday's Armed Forces bowl could have been a touchdown win by either team but it turned out to be an old-fashioned defensive gut-it-out contest.
It was a game that would come down to a couple of critical plays.
BYU made them, Tulsa didn't.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- Utah Jazz: Red-hot Jazz shock the Kings, 122-101
- Power rankings: Pac-12, WCC, MWC men's...
- Mountain View hires former Timpview head...
- NFL watch: How local players fared in week 14...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- Utah Utes basketball: AD Chris Hill doesn't...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 101
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 82
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 70
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 53
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 51
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Utah Utes basketball: AD Chris Hill... 39