NEW YORK — Chas Dodd hit Brandon Coleman for an 86-yard touchdown pass late in the fourth quarter and Jawan Jamison ran for two scores to lead Rutgers over Iowa State 27-13 in the Pinstripe Bowl at Yankees Stadium on Friday.
Jamison finished with 134 yards on 27 carries for the Scarlet Knights (9-4), who ran their bowl winning streak to five. Rutgers, which played in one bowl game before 2005, is 5-1 in the postseason under coach Greg Schiano.
Steele Jantz took over for Jared Barnett at quarterback in the second quarter and helped pull the Cyclones (6-7) within 20-13 on Jeff Woody's 20-yard touchdown run with 10:00 left.
After an exchange of punts left Rutgers deep in its own end, Dodd went deep to Coleman. The 6-foot-6 redshirt freshman went over 5-7 cornerback Jeremy Reeves, then outran the corner to the end zone to make it 27-13 with 5:47 left.
Iowa State jumped out to a 6-0 lead in the first quarter, with Zach Guyer kicking field goals of 40 and 46 yards on the Cyclones' first two possessions.
MISSISSIPPI STATE 23, WAKE FOREST 17: At Nashville, Tenn., Vick Ballard ran for a career-high 180 yards and two touchdowns to lead Mississippi State over Wake Forest in the Music City Bowl — the Bulldogs' fifth straight bowl victory and second consecutive under coach Dan Mullen.
The Bulldogs (7-6) capped a season that started with high expectations by winning consecutive bowls for only the second time in school history and first since 1999-2000.
Ballard's TDs were the longest in the Bulldogs' 14 bowl games. Mississippi State overcame four turnovers thanks to six sacks — its highest total since piling up seven in a win over Florida in 2000.
Wake Forest (6-7) had a two-game bowl winning streak snapped. The Demon Deacons finish the season having lost five of their last six games.
- BYU athletic director Tom Holmoe talks...
- For now, odds are '50-50' that BYU ends up in...
- Tebow’s recent breakup creates divide...
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Tanner Mangum is...
- Jimmer Fredette has BYU-esque performance in...
- After years of working and dreaming, BYU...
- Carter Williams: Steph Curry is becoming...
- About Utah: A big deal just got bigger
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best... 113
- College Football: Utah moves back into... 71
- For now, odds are '50-50' that BYU ends... 71
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl... 68
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell... 47
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's... 39
- Brad Rock: Utes need bowl win to avoid... 37
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA... 37