Sun Bowl: Utah (7-5) vs. Georgia Tech (8-4)
Sun Bowl Stadium (50,426)
Hellas Matrix FieldTurf, El Paso, Texas
Weather: Clear skies, with temperatures in the low 60s.
For Georgia Tech ... a victory will give the Yellow Jackets a three-game improvement from last season. It's a one-year increase the storied program hasn't accomplished since going from 7-5 in 1997 to 10-2 in 1998.
For Utah ... the Utes are looking to start a new string of success after Boise State put an end to their nine-game bowl winning streak last December. A win would also ease the sting of a 17-14 loss to Colorado on Nov. 25.
For Georgia Tech ... the Yellow Jackets are making their 15th straight bowl appearance, the nation's fourth-longest active streak. They've lost six straight bowl games, beginning with a 38-10 loss to Utah in the 2005 Emerald Bowl.
For Utah ... before a surprising setback to Colorado in the regular-season finale, the Utes had reeled off four straight Pac-12 victories. Utah won its only previous trip to the Sun Bowl, blanking New Mexico 26-0 on Jan. 2, 1939.
Player to watch
John White IV, Utah: The junior is coming off an ankle injury early in the Colorado game on Nov. 25. He's 104 yards away from breaking Carl Monroe's 1982 school record for single-season rushing yards (1,507).
Georgia Tech's offense vs. Utah's defense: Something's got to give. The Yellow Jackets enter the game with the nation's No. 3 rushing offense (316.83 ypg), while the Utes counter with the No. 7 rushing defense (97 ypg).
Georgia Tech: LB Morgan Carter (undisclosed injury) is questionable. USA Today reports that CB Louis Young is not expected to play because of a disciplinary issue.
Utah: DT David Kruger (leg infection), OL Miles Mason (elbow) and DT LT Tuipulotu (knee) will not play.
Date Opponent Time (TV)/result
Sept. 1 vs. Montana St. W, 27-10
Sept. 10 at USC L, 23-14
Sept. 17 at BYU W, 54-10
Oct. 1 vs. Washington L, 31-14
Oct. 8 vs. Arizona St. L, 35-14
Oct. 15 at Pittsburgh W, 26-14
Oct. 22 at California L, 34-10
Oct. 29 vs. Oregon St. W, 27-8
Nov. 5 at Arizona W, 34-21
Nov. 12 vs. UCLA W, 31-6
Nov. 19at Washington St.W, 30-27 (OT)
Nov. 25 vs. Colorado L, 17-14
- Massive crowd engulfs Cleveland, champion...
- Chile beats Colombia 2-0 to return to Copa...
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- 24-team Euro 2016 a wacky success
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- Carmelo Anthony among 10 set for US Olympic...
- Jazz snubbed: Agents block players from...
- AP Source: Pacers acquire Thad Young from Nets
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 127
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 51
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 29
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 22
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 19
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 15
- Dick Harmon: While away from BYU, Tejan... 15
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 15