SAN DIEGO — If all goes right on New Year's Eve, daredevils Robbie Maddison and Levi LaVallee will roar down the takeoff ramps on a motorcycle and snowmobile, respectively, fly over a 300-foot water gap and complete their record-setting jumps.
The side-by-side jumps at Embarcadero Marina Park on San Diego Bay will be the latest in the "Red Bull: New Year. No Limits" series.
LaVallee, of Longville, Minn., was scheduled to attempt his snowmobile jump last New Year's Eve in snowless San Diego but was seriously injured in a crash during training two weeks earlier.
He wants to break his record of 361 feet, set hours before his painful wipeout.
Maddison, an Australian who's a veteran of eye-popping New Year's Eve stunts, wants to jump 400 feet, which would break the record of 391 feet for the longest motorcycle jump.
The jumps will be shown live on ESPN at approximately midnight EST.
- Police boss: NYC cops 'quite simply,...
- The Associated Press' top 10 movies of the year
- Christmas 1914: The day even WWI showed humanity
- 2 cops in New York City ambushed, fatally...
- What people never mention when they talk...
- Think your marital status is important? The...
- 9 films advance in Oscars shortlist for best...
- A chance to breach divide for young in Cuba...
- Obama: US re-establishing diplomatic... 49
- Vermont governor abandons single-payer... 32
- A post-election flurry: Obama tests his... 16
- Sony cancels 'The Interview' Dec. 25... 15
- Forget Santa Claus, Virginia. Was there... 14
- Police boss: NYC cops 'quite simply,... 11
- NYC premiere of Rogen film 'The... 8
- Utah mourners for Pakistani children... 8