SAN DIEGO — If all goes right on New Year's Eve, daredevils Robbie Maddison and Levi LaVallee will roar down the takeoff ramps on a motorcycle and snowmobile, respectively, fly over a 300-foot water gap and complete their record-setting jumps.
The side-by-side jumps at Embarcadero Marina Park on San Diego Bay will be the latest in the "Red Bull: New Year. No Limits" series.
LaVallee, of Longville, Minn., was scheduled to attempt his snowmobile jump last New Year's Eve in snowless San Diego but was seriously injured in a crash during training two weeks earlier.
He wants to break his record of 361 feet, set hours before his painful wipeout.
Maddison, an Australian who's a veteran of eye-popping New Year's Eve stunts, wants to jump 400 feet, which would break the record of 391 feet for the longest motorcycle jump.
The jumps will be shown live on ESPN at approximately midnight EST.
- California bars judges from Boy Scouts...
- Survivors visit Auschwitz a day ahead of 70th...
- Want to help a sex trafficking victim get on...
- Chess in schools: bringing the classic mind...
- 'Potentially historic' blizzard threatens NYC...
- Miss Colombia crowned Miss Universe in Miami
- Obama seeks bigger wilderness designation in...
- Vaccinate the economy against disease
- Mitt sounds like a candidate at Salt... 87
- California bars judges from Boy Scouts... 83
- Kerry: Violent extremism is not Islamic 28
- House Republicans run into divisions... 21
- Measles outbreak casts spotlight on... 20
- Analysis: Obama seizes on recovery,... 17
- Idaho has 22 breeding wolf pairs, an... 12
- Religious response to postponed... 11