SAN DIEGO — If all goes right on New Year's Eve, daredevils Robbie Maddison and Levi LaVallee will roar down the takeoff ramps on a motorcycle and snowmobile, respectively, fly over a 300-foot water gap and complete their record-setting jumps.
The side-by-side jumps at Embarcadero Marina Park on San Diego Bay will be the latest in the "Red Bull: New Year. No Limits" series.
LaVallee, of Longville, Minn., was scheduled to attempt his snowmobile jump last New Year's Eve in snowless San Diego but was seriously injured in a crash during training two weeks earlier.
He wants to break his record of 361 feet, set hours before his painful wipeout.
Maddison, an Australian who's a veteran of eye-popping New Year's Eve stunts, wants to jump 400 feet, which would break the record of 391 feet for the longest motorcycle jump.
The jumps will be shown live on ESPN at approximately midnight EST.
- Two Christian ministers refuse to perform...
- 2 dead in shooting attack at Canada's Parliament
- California orders churches, others to pay for...
- Wyoming prepares to legalize same-sex marriage
- Government ups air bag warning to 7.8M vehicles
- Q&A: Journalist Dan Rather speaks on courage...
- CVS tacks tobacco payment to prescription...
- Inspector: 'Serious lapse' at Secret Service
- Two Christian ministers refuse to... 111
- New Ebola 'czar' knows Washington, but... 22
- Wyoming prepares to legalize same-sex... 19
- On campaign trail, Obama says GOP is... 16
- Bishops scrap welcome to gays in sign... 10
- Expelled Nazis got millions in Social... 10
- At rallies, Obama casts 2014 as key for... 8
- This type of high school can increase... 8