SALT LAKE CITY — Paul Millsap is getting his wish. He's an NBA starter once again.
Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin changed his starting rotation for tonight's home-opening game against the Philadelphia 76ers, inserting last year's starting power forward back into the first five while putting Derrick Favors in a reserve role.
Favors has gotten off to a rough start this season after getting into early foul trouble in both blowout losses to the Los Angeles Lakers and the Denver Nuggets. He's averaging 5.0 ppg and 8.0 rpg.
Millsap, meanwhile, has been the Jazz's most consistent player. The sixth-year player is leading the team with 15.5 points per game and has averaged eight rebounds.
"(Favors) gets a chance to watch a little bit coming off the bench and relax a little bit, I hope, and be ready to come in the game," Corbin said. "Paul is used to starting so he'll know how to handle the anxiety and just go out and play and play aggressively, and not worry about not fouling."
The other four starters will remain the same, with Devin Harris (point guard), Raja Bell (shooting guard), Gordon Hayward (small forward) and Al Jefferson (center).
The Jazz spent Thursday watching film and dissecting what went wrong (and right) on both offense and defense in the two losses in which they lost by an average of 21 points.
One thing, in particular, stood out about the Jazz's performances.
"I don't think we came out with the kind of effort we had in training camp," Corbin said. "I don't know if (it was due to) fatigue and anxiety from starting up or just the whole short training camp and the first couple of games."
Corbin is hopeful Thursday's viewing and discussion will pay off as the Jazz try to get their first win of 2011-12 tonight against a 1-1 Sixers squad.
"I thought it was a good exercise. It was a good film session," Corbin said. "It was a good meeting we had. We're looking forward to a big effort tonight."
Tipoff is at 7 p.m. MT. The game will be televised live on ROOT Sports.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: DJJazzJody
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford to...
- NFL locals photo gallery: Kyle Van Noy and...
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- College football: BYU receives votes in...
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- BYU football: Cougars announce future games...
- High school football: Deseret News 2014...
- Utah football fall practice position preview:...
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 136
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 106
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford... 99
- BYU football: Cougars announce future... 74
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're... 73
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 51
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 32
- Former Ute Zane Beadles donates... 29