Utah Utes football: Tony Bergstrom U.'s 'leader of leaders'
Tom Smart, Deseret News
EL PASO, Texas — Prior to leaving for the Sun Bowl, Utah senior Tony Bergstrom was given quite a compliment by head coach Kyle Whittingham.
"This is Tony Bergstrom's football team. He's the team leader," Whittingham said. "The leader of leaders, I guess you could say."
It's a title, though, that Bergstrom said he isn't sure about as the Utes wrap up preparations for Saturday's game against Georgia Tech.
"All I'm concerned about is just going out and making sure I do my best, making sure the O-line performs to the best of their ability. That's kind of what I feel," Bergstrom said. "I feel things are up to the front seven on our side. If we get things done everything will take care of itself. I have faith in our defense. I have faith in our backfield. I have faith in our receivers. I'm just worried about us on the front line."
BOWL PREP: Whittingham said Wednesday's practice at the SocorroAthleticComplex was average.
"We've got to do better tomorrow," he explained. "We've practiced for a lot of days against the same schemes. You've got to guard against complacency."
SUNNY FORECAST: Although it gets a bit chilly at night (near freezing), the days in El Paso are warming up nicely. Saturday's kickoff forecast is calling for clear skies with the temperature around 60 degrees.
BOWL FESTIVITIES: Whittingham and several players visited patients at the Children's Hospital at Providence on Tuesday. A bowling event "Bowl before the Bowl" with Georgia Tech took place in the evening. The entire team then spent a couple of hours at Fort Bliss Wednesday afternoon. Marksmanship and tank simulators were among the scheduled activities before dinner with the troops.
"We've been busy," Bergstrom said. "We've been doing stuff all the time."
The activities, he added, just come with the bowl experience.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: @DirkFacer
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- The Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 8: A Utah...
- Ute fans get first look at basketball team,...
- Peavler: Breaking down BYU, Utah and Utah...
- Enes Kanter comes up big for Jazz in...
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- BYU-Boise State game expected to feature...
- High school football: Parry's Power Guide for...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 50
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 42
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 31
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 27