Utah Utes football: Tony Bergstrom U.'s 'leader of leaders'
Tom Smart, Deseret News
EL PASO, Texas — Prior to leaving for the Sun Bowl, Utah senior Tony Bergstrom was given quite a compliment by head coach Kyle Whittingham.
"This is Tony Bergstrom's football team. He's the team leader," Whittingham said. "The leader of leaders, I guess you could say."
It's a title, though, that Bergstrom said he isn't sure about as the Utes wrap up preparations for Saturday's game against Georgia Tech.
"All I'm concerned about is just going out and making sure I do my best, making sure the O-line performs to the best of their ability. That's kind of what I feel," Bergstrom said. "I feel things are up to the front seven on our side. If we get things done everything will take care of itself. I have faith in our defense. I have faith in our backfield. I have faith in our receivers. I'm just worried about us on the front line."
BOWL PREP: Whittingham said Wednesday's practice at the SocorroAthleticComplex was average.
"We've got to do better tomorrow," he explained. "We've practiced for a lot of days against the same schemes. You've got to guard against complacency."
SUNNY FORECAST: Although it gets a bit chilly at night (near freezing), the days in El Paso are warming up nicely. Saturday's kickoff forecast is calling for clear skies with the temperature around 60 degrees.
BOWL FESTIVITIES: Whittingham and several players visited patients at the Children's Hospital at Providence on Tuesday. A bowling event "Bowl before the Bowl" with Georgia Tech took place in the evening. The entire team then spent a couple of hours at Fort Bliss Wednesday afternoon. Marksmanship and tank simulators were among the scheduled activities before dinner with the troops.
"We've been busy," Bergstrom said. "We've been doing stuff all the time."
The activities, he added, just come with the bowl experience.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: @DirkFacer
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- Utah football: Utes to take on a familiar...
- Utah State infographic: Aggies' Keeton...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 59
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 29
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28