Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
Christmas came early for EnergySolutions with the absurd decision of the Division of Radiation Control, or DRC, to allow 40,000 cubic feet of blended radioactive waste to be accepted at their Clive facility before a performance assessment (safety evaluation) — done by EnergySolutions — is completed at the end of 2012. With huge profits at stake, what conclusion does the DRC think EnergySolutions is going to reach?
We are not protecting public health by allowing a huge pile of hot nuclear waste into our state, even if it's mixed with something else. Gov. Gary Herbert can stop this dangerous plan, and he should. I urge everyone to work together to keep blended waste out of Utah.
- Letter: Eroding the BSA 66
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument... 47
- In our opinion: Teacher pay one way to... 46
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood... 40
- In our opinion: Time to phase out... 27
- In our opinion: After change to state... 25
- My view: Utah leaders, don't let EPA... 25
- Jay Evensen: Muhammad Yunus wants to... 23