Since ESPN put together its Monday night trio of Mike Tirico, Jon Gruden and Ron Jaworski, this has been no contest. Tirico is the smoothest of play-by-play announcers who also offers some insight and raises controversial issues. He brings out the best in his highly opinionated and insightful partners, and their sense of humor isn't forced.
Gruden's best moment: toying with crutches in the booth and threatening Jaworski with them as Gruden tried to figure out how Sean Payton could coach while using them.
BEST NFL STUDIO SHOW
NBC's "Football Night in America," in part because it's no yukfest, as are nearly all the other shows, but mainly for its willingness to tackle tough topics. Tony Dungy and Rodney Harrison have no peers as commentators about the games and the sport itself.
Every one of these guys was a major contributor this year, even without much fanfare. In alphabetical order: PK David Akers, 49ers; T Jeff Backus, Lions; WR Doug Baldwin, Seahawks; TE Jake Ballard, Giants; LB Connor Barwin, Texans; WR Antonio Brown, Steelers;
CB Brandon Browner, Seahawks; G Chris Kuper, Broncos; P Andy Lee, 49ers;
DE Chris Long, Rams; RB Ryan Mathews, Chargers; LB Jerod Mayo, Patriots; PK-RB Joe McKnight, Jets; C Chris Myers, Texans; C Dominic Raiola, Lions; WR Nate Washington, Titans.
"It's chaos out there. A lot is going on more than you see. It's like 'The Matrix' out there with a little bit of 'Inception.' It's a little bit crazy." — Baltimore's Terrell Suggs, a movie buff, describing the action after he had three sacks in a 24-10 win over Indianapolis.
AP Sports Writer Richard Rosenblatt in New York and Joe Kay in Cincinnati contributed to this story.
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 86
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 35
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33