Cougars play final tune-up game before conference play
PROVO — BYU will host Cal State San Marcos tonight in the Cougars' final tune-up before traveling to St. Mary's to open up West Coast Conference play on Thursday.
The visiting Cal State-San Marcos Cougars are 6-7 on the season, which includes losses to Westminster and UNLV. BYU enters the game with a 10-3 mark, fresh off a Saturday win over Cal-State Santa Barbara, and is led by senior forward Noah Hartsock.
The game will be televised live on BYUtv at 7 p.m.
BYU enters the game ranked 21st nationally in points per game (79.6 ppg), 41st in rebounding (38.9 rpg), No. 5 in assists per game (18.6), and 23rd in field goal shooting (.488).
Cal State-San Marcos is led by 6-foo-5 Tim Steed, who averages 17.8 points per contest.
Other top scorers for the visitors are 6-5 Jacob Ranger (14.1), 6-2 Bryan Emanuel (14) and 6-7 Aaron Chamberlain (13.2).
For BYU's coach Dave Rose, tonight's game is one more opportunity to get freshman point guard Matt Carlino playing time after missing the first 10 games of the season. Carlino has scored 50 points in three games since he became eligible Dec. 17. He averages 16.7 points and six assists per game.
COUGARS ON THE AIR
Cal State San Marcos (6-7)
at BYU (10-3)
Today, 7 p.m.
TV: BYUtv Radio: 1160 AM, 102.7 FM
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- 11-year-old Salt Lake native once again...
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora of...
- Prep football: Kafentzis, 'Diggers dig out of...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 52
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 52
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48