Was: 10. Last week: 1-0. Outlook: It's tough to gauge how legit the Bobcats are with four of their wins coming against mediocre out-of-state competition, and its next game is against another ho-hum out-of-state team. Next up: vs. Highland, Idaho, Wed., Jan. 4.
12. Logan (8-1)
Was: 17. Last week: 2-0. Outlook: Lacks a marquee preseason win, but night after night the Grizzlies know how to win basketball games. Next up: at Uintah, Wed., Jan. 4.
13. Timpview (5-2)
Was: -. Last week: 2-1. Outlook: Lost to Bountiful in St. George, but victories over Desert Hills and Snow Canyon were definitely quality wins. Next up: at Mountain View, Friday, Jan. 6.
14. Desert Hills (9-1)
Was: 6. Last week: 2-1. Outlook: Dropped its first game of the year against Timpview after fourth quarter rally resulted in an overtime loss to the T-Birds. Next up: vs. Cedar, Wed., Jan. 4.
15. Northridge (4-3)
Was: 18. Last week: 1-0. Outlook: Have won four straight since starting the year 0-3, and will face tough tests in Wyoming this week. Next up: at Gillette, Wyo. tournament, Wednesday.
16. Brighton (3-3)
Was: 11. Last week: 0-1. Outlook: Since 2-0 start, the Bengals have lost three of their last four games against quality 5A competition, and things certainly don't get easier in this week's tournament. Next up: at Gillette, Wyo. tournament, Wednesday.
17. Springville (5-1)
Was: 19. Last week: 1-0. Outlook: In midst of two-week break before wrapping up preseason against Westlake on Jan. 3. Next up: at Westlake, Tues., Jan. 3.
18. South Sevier (8-1)
Was: 15. Last week: 1-0. Outlook: Struggled to get by Gunnison last week in a surprisingly defensive battle. Next up: vs. Liahona, Thursday.
19. Hurricane (6-2)
Was: -. Last week: 2-0. Outlook: Has shaken off the football rust, and looking like a very scary team heading into Region 9 play. Next up: vs. Dixie, Wed., Jan. 4.
20. Highland (5-2)
Was: -. Last week: 1-0. Outlook: There's nothing flashy about the Rams, but the defense has been very impressive in last four games. Next up: at Juan Diego, Friday.
Dropped Out: No. 13 Wasatch Academy, No. 14 Cedar, No. 20 Payson
- Commentary: Long-term success in independence...
- BYU basketball: Cougars face No. 21 UMass in...
- 2014 NBA draft tracker: An ongoing look at...
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom Hill,...
- Cougars in the pros: Austin Collie re-signs...
- Utah Jazz: Rip City, all right...
- Utah State football: Immovable Aggies face...
- Utah Jazz: Banner day coming for Jerry Sloan
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 101
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 60
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 58
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 57
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 53
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 48
- BYU basketball: 3 players record... 47
- Dick Harmon: USC taps BYU experience... 46