Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — One question has been asked almost every day since the Utah Jazz began training camp 17 days ago.
Where in the heck is Kyrylo Fesenko?
OK, not really.
The popular question this preseason: What is the starting lineup?
The Jazz had Christmas Day off, but second-year coach Tyrone Corbin addressed that question again at his Christmas Eve practice. (Warning: He will again today, too.)
"We're closer," Corbin said. "We have a pretty good idea of who are starters will be."
One possible starter was taken out of the mix when Mehmet Okur was traded.
Another potential first-five guy returned to practice this weekend. Paul Millsap, last year's starting power forward, came back "full strength" after missing a week with right quadriceps tendinitis.
So will Millsap start?
Corbin's answer: Maybe, maybe not.
He won't reveal starters until today or possibly Tuesday.
For what it's worth, the five players who began Wednesday's preseason game against Portland were on the floor together when the Jazz began practice Saturday with a zone defense refresher.
That group included point guard Devin Harris, shooting guard Raja Bell, small forward Gordon Hayward, power forward Derrick Favors and center Al Jefferson.
Corbin admitted he's slightly envious of teams that have obvious starting fives, but the Jazz have so many new players and possibilities, he's wanted to evaluate as many combinations as possible before committing.
He also makes the point that his rotations and starters might change to exploit various match-ups, whether for size or speed.
"We want to get guys as comfortable as we can as soon as we can," Corbin said. "We don't want to play tricks and trick ourselves, but we want to take advantage of all of the talent we have on the team. … We expect (everybody) to be ready and be ready to play."
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very little
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 60
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 45