Utah Jazz: Derrick Favors at center of 2 huge roster shakeups
Favors' mid-range game — which he worked on in the summer in countless pick-up games — is improving. That could turn him into a multi-dimensional beast, considering how viciously he attacks the basket.
Favors still is working on a bread-and-butter go-to move, and he uses his driving skills to his advantage. Corbin loves that Favors is "explosive" and sees him being more physical down low.
Best part for the coach is that his promising post listens and learns.
"He understands what he needs to do to be efficient," Corbin said.
Favors is willing to do what's best for the Jazz, too.
"If he want me to come out and just rebound, block shots, defense, I'll do that," Favors said. "If he want me to come out and score, I'll do that. Just whatever he wants me to do."
Even with the way rosters evolve nowadays — only Millsap and C.J. Miles remain from the 2009-10 Jazz squad — O'Connor wants Favors to feel at home in Utah.
He is a big part of the Jazz's future plans.
"We explained to him that, 'Hey, we got you in this trade because you're one of the pieces that we wanted,'" O'Connor said, sharing a post-D-Will-trade chat he had with Favors.
"This is his first year of (hearing), 'Derrick, don't expect to read your name in the paper unless you do something well — hopefully it's only for doing something well. And that's how we feel."
O'Connor's advice to Favors: "Dig in, find a place to live, expect to be here. That's one of the things that I think he needs to hear and he needs to know."
The Jazz hope that extra level of security will allow Favors to continue to flourish in a franchise that has a strong power forward history: Karl Malone, Carlos Boozer and the current Louisiana Tech guy.
"I'm not going to try to predict his future," Millsap said of Favors. "That's up to him and how hard he works to get where he wants to be."
Email: email@example.com Twitter: DJJazzyJody
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- Busch turns weekend into clean sweep with...
- Larry Stone: Ken Griffey Jr.’s...
- Kevin Durant leads US to second exhibition...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 105
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 54
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 46
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 44
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 34
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 23
- Backfield to the future: Hill, Williams... 12