"I think looking at the team that we have there is that chance," Barkley said of playing in a BCS game next season. "We're on the rise and like I said in my (opening) statements, I feel like there is unfinished business."
CHRYST NAMED COACH AT PITT: Paul Chryst turned Wisconsin's historically ho-hum offense into a high-powered attack that lit up scoreboards across the Big Ten.
Pittsburgh would love to see him do the same with the Panthers, but only after he provides the beleaguered program with some much-needed stability.
The school hired Chryst on Thursday to replace Todd Graham, who bolted for Arizona State last week after less than a year on the job.
The 46-year-old Chryst is Pitt's fourth head coach in the last 13 months, following Dave Wannstedt, Mike Haywood and Graham, who left for the Sun Devils following a disappointing 6-6 season.
Pitt is hoping Chryst, who spent seven seasons as offensive coordinator at his alma mater, sticks around much longer. In addition to the seemingly endless coaching chaos, the Panthers are leaving the Big East for the ACC by 2014.
TERRY BOWDEN HEADING TO AKRON: A person with knowledge of the hire says Akron is set to introduce former Auburn coach Terry Bowden as the Zips head coach.
The person spoke on condition of anonymity because no official announcement has been made. ESPN first reported the hiring.
Bowden has been coaching at Division II North Alabama the past three seasons after a decade-long absence from the sidelines. He was once one of college football's hottest young coaches and won his first 20 games after taking over a probation-racked Auburn program.
He left in midseason in 1998 after the Tigers started 1-5.
Akron fired coach Rob Ianello after two seasons that produced a 2-22 record and only one Mid-American Conference win. Bowden has led North Alabama to the Division II playoffs in all three seasons.
EX-NOTRE DAME QB CRIST PICKS KANSAS:Dayne Crist has decided to transfer to Kansas, where the former Notre Dame quarterback will be reunited with coach Charlie Weis.
Crist announced his decision on Twitter on Thursday: "After a long & difficult decision making process, I'm incredibly excited to join the Kansas football team. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!"
Crist visited Kansas and Wisconsin before deciding on the Jayhawks, where Weis was hired to replace the fired Turner Gill. Weis recruited Crist to Notre Dame and was his coach for two years.
One of the country's top recruits out of high school, Crist started the season as the Fighting Irish's starting quarterback but was benched at halftime of the opener against South Florida. He played only a handful of snaps behind Tommy Rees the remainder of the season.
Crist has already graduated, so he'll be eligible to play for Kansas immediately.
- Class of 2015: Utah high school athletes with...
- Dick Harmon: Sonny Detmer's bloodline about...
- Amy Donaldson: Former BYU QB Jake Heaps'...
- Tyler Haws to play with Cleveland Cavaliers...
- Jazz not expected to be a major player (or...
- Morning links: Fox Sports discusses why OU...
- Reports: Jackson Vroman found dead
- Why is William Penn, a Quaker university in...
- Amy Donaldson: Former BYU QB Jake... 47
- Morning links: Fox Sports discusses why... 32
- Morning links: New BYU commit's late... 31
- Dick Harmon: BYU's retired AD Glen... 25
- NBA draft: Utah Jazz select Trey Lyles... 22
- NBA draft: Utes' Delon Wright selected... 17
- Upstill: Does Trey Lyles have what it... 16
- Jazz not expected to be a major player... 13