"James has been really competing and competing well from the very beginning," he said. "He had a great fall camp, to the point where we thought that he would have a great chance at possibly being the backup, the way he was competing. So I think this has been a breath of fresh air for him, just to be considered more in the mix now, to get more practice reps."
Lark's experience at BYU "hasn't been easy," Mendenhall added. "He's been in my office a number of times trying to find his place and acknowledge what his path might be and what opportunities he'll get. He's our backup quarterback and he's very good. It's hard to predict how it will play out.
"In this particular case, there are a lot of lessons for young kids out there that it doesn't always go perfectly but if you persevere until the end, sometimes things work in your favor. He's one play away from being our starting quarterback."
Asked if there are plans for Lark to play against Tulsa, Mendenhall said the coaching staff "won't make a special effort to put him in just because."
But, the coach added, "I'm comfortable with James, even though he hasn't played. He actually runs well, too. It would be fun to see him get an opportunity, if and when that happens, possibly in the bowl game. We'll have to see."
Armed Forces Bowl
Tulsa (8-4) vs. BYU (9-3)
Dec. 30, 10 a.m. MT
Ford Stadium, Dallas
Radio: 1160 AM, 102.7 FM
- High school boys track: Davis wins another 5A...
- If hired, Jeff Hornacek will face same...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coach Mike Littlewood...
- High school girls track: Davis wins...
- High school football: Orem player responds...
- Mormon NFL safety Eric Weddle: Balancing...
- The offseason status of NFL players with Utah...
- Amy Donaldson: LDS boxer B.J. Flores hopes...
- USA Rugby: 'What BYU won ... was a... 76
- Mormon NFL safety Eric Weddle:... 67
- Ryan Teeples: Ziggy Ansah's story... 64
- Utes football recruiting: Polynesian... 62
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state... 49
- High school football: Riley Nelson... 27
- Utah Utes football: Dr. Chris Hill... 25
- High school recruiting: Jackson Barton,... 20