SALT LAKE CITY — Cuts have been made by the Utah Jazz, and Jamaal Tinsley is the last man standing.
Former Jazz point guard Keith McLeod and NBA hopefuls Paul Carter, Trey Gilder and Scottie Reynolds were waived this morning by the team.
The Jazz now have 14 players on their roster, including Tinsley, who has a nonguaranteed deal.
"It was tough because you're cutting guys," Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin said after his team's shootaround for tonight's preaseason game against Portland. "I've played this game. I've been released before. It's not fun but you learn from it.
Corbin told the four players the Jazz will keep track of their playing careers and that they could possibly be brought back "if the opportunity presents itself."
That is precisely what presented itself for Tinsley in Utah.
The longtime Indiana point guard with somewhat of a checkered past was out of the league last season. He worked himself back into shape, played in the D-League this fall and made the most of his redemption moment with the Jazz.
Utah now has three NBA-seasoned point guards in starter Devin Harris (seven seasons), backup Earl Watson (10 seasons) and Tinsley (eight seasons).
"Jamaal is a veteran guy. He did a good job in picking up the stuff quickly," Corbin said. "He's in tremendous shape. He's had a lot of success in this league before, so we thought it would be best now to keep him. He's earned it. He's earned his second chance."
The Jazz will have until Feb. 6 to decide whether or not to keep Tinsley for the full season.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: DJJazzyJody
- Peavler: Is Bronco Mendenhall the Steve...
- Friday night lights central, playoffs...
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's progress...
- High school football: Friday's playoff roundup
- High school football: State tournament pairings
- Langi making an impact at linebacker for BYU
- Felt's Facts, playoff edition: Newcomers,...
- Utes carry momentum into showdown with the...
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 60
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 56
- High school football: State tournament... 55
- Peavler: Is Bronco Mendenhall the Steve... 51
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the... 35
- BYU men, women both picked to finish... 32