SALT LAKE CITY — Cuts have been made by the Utah Jazz, and Jamaal Tinsley is the last man standing.
Former Jazz point guard Keith McLeod and NBA hopefuls Paul Carter, Trey Gilder and Scottie Reynolds were waived this morning by the team.
The Jazz now have 14 players on their roster, including Tinsley, who has a nonguaranteed deal.
"It was tough because you're cutting guys," Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin said after his team's shootaround for tonight's preaseason game against Portland. "I've played this game. I've been released before. It's not fun but you learn from it.
Corbin told the four players the Jazz will keep track of their playing careers and that they could possibly be brought back "if the opportunity presents itself."
That is precisely what presented itself for Tinsley in Utah.
The longtime Indiana point guard with somewhat of a checkered past was out of the league last season. He worked himself back into shape, played in the D-League this fall and made the most of his redemption moment with the Jazz.
Utah now has three NBA-seasoned point guards in starter Devin Harris (seven seasons), backup Earl Watson (10 seasons) and Tinsley (eight seasons).
"Jamaal is a veteran guy. He did a good job in picking up the stuff quickly," Corbin said. "He's in tremendous shape. He's had a lot of success in this league before, so we thought it would be best now to keep him. He's earned it. He's earned his second chance."
The Jazz will have until Feb. 6 to decide whether or not to keep Tinsley for the full season.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: DJJazzyJody
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's season of...
- Ezekiel Ansah unveils his Turkey Dance...
- BYU football: After initial struggles,...
- Cougars fall short again in 87-85 loss to...
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- Red and Blue Recruits: BYU's new commit gets...
- BYU deals with tough overtime losses at Maui...
- BYU football: Cougar defense confident it can...
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 94
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 66
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 48
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 47
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 38
- Utes on the verge of a winning Pac-12... 30
- BYU looking for strong finish in... 29
- Cougars fall short again in 87-85 loss... 27