BYU football: 3rd-straight bowl win would be a first for Y.
PROVO — BYU meets Tulsa in the Armed Forces Bowl on Dec. 30, marking the Cougars' 30th bowl game.
While BYU's all-time bowl record is an unimpressive 11-17-1, the Cougars have won four of their last five bowl games. This year, BYU will be attempting to win its third consecutive bowl game for the first time in school history.
Under legendary coach LaVell Edwards, the Cougars posted a 7-14-1 bowl record.
Why has BYU had more bowl success in recent years?
"There are different philosophies. I can't really speak to the record before because I wasn't here," said coach Bronco Mendenhall. "But I visited with LaVell some. There are different approaches. Some teams, at that point, the bowl games weren't as important as far as the national landscape and rankings and the BCS and all that. Nor were they televised as heavily.
"So the exposure to the programs now, especially in our position, is so important to have to play well in those games. I think the landscape has changed to where it's very important for teams to play well in the postseason in terms of how your program is viewed and also gaining momentum and trying to secure spots going into the following year for rankings and possible bowl appearances. Maybe more at stake now. Again, hard to say, because I wasn't in the era before."
SOLID PRACTICE: Mendenhall said he was impressed with Tuesday's practice at the indoor facility.
Quarterback Riley Nelson said the offense is getting a lot of work done.
"We had the entire script installed, which is really early. Normally we don't finalize it (until) Wednesday of a normal week. We've got it finalized by Wednesday of the week before, so we're ahead of schedule."
SCHEDULE IN TEXAS: BYU departs for Dallas/Fort Worth on Dec. 26. The Cougars will practice on Dec. 27 and Dec. 28 at Burleson Centennial High School.
CHOW TO LEAD HAWAII: According to reports, former BYU offensive coordinator Norm Chow will become the next head coach at Hawaii. The Warriors are scheduled to visit Provo on Sept. 29, 2012.
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down Utah and...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty overturned,...
- Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3, injuries...
- BYU's Hill has come a long way since loss at...
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback...
- Week 2 NFL locals roundup: Players from Utah...
- Sports BLT video: Bronco Mendenhall provides...
- Pac-12 trips have made the Big House a... 108
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 70
- BYU moves up to No. 21 in AP poll, No.... 61
- Vai's View: BYU's greatest quarterback... 52
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU... 51
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 49
- BYU off to first 3-0 start in 6... 48
- If BYU and Utah played on the gridiron... 45