Chow has coached three Heisman Trophy winners (BYU's Ty Detmer as well as Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart at USC) in his career and was on the staff of three national championship teams (BYU, 1984; USC 2003-04). He won the Broyles Award, honoring the nation's top assistant coach, in 2002.
Chow became Utah's offensive coordinator on Jan. 22, 2011, returning to the school where he met his wife, Diane, and earned two degrees,
"I'm awfully honored and blessed to be here. I really am," Chow said. "This is really exciting for me."
When asked if his potential departure could become a distraction as the Utes prepare for their ninth consecutive bowl game, Chow is confident it won't develop into such.
"If it were a distraction, I wouldn't be around," he said.
KITV, a television station in Honolulu, is reporting that Chow emerged from a group of finalists that include Texas associate head coach Duane Akina, Oregon State defensive coordinator Mark Banker, Jacksonville Jaguars offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter and Baylor assistant head coach Brian Norwood..
The Hawaii job opened up when former Utah defensive coordinator Greg McMackin retired after four seasons at the helm.
Utes on the air
Utah (7-5) vs. Georgia Tech (8-4)
Dec. 31, noon MT
El Paso, Texas
Radio: 700 AM
- Commentary: Long-term success in independence...
- BYU basketball: Cougars face No. 21 UMass in...
- Cougars in the pros: Austin Collie re-signs...
- 2014 NBA draft tracker: An ongoing look at...
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom Hill,...
- Utah Jazz: Banner day coming for Jerry Sloan
- Utah Jazz: Rip City, all right...
- Utah State football: Immovable Aggies face...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 102
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 60
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 58
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 57
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 53
- BYU basketball: 3 players record... 47
- Dick Harmon: USC taps BYU experience... 46
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 46