WEST VALLEY CITY — The Idaho Steelheads beat the Utah Grizzlies (13-11-0-3) 2-1 in a shootout Monday night at Maverik Center.
The Grizzlies competed with only ten regular skaters and five players making their team debuts as they have 10 players injured, five in the AHL and one on bereavement leave. Natural forwards Riley Emmerson and Blair Yaworksi played defense in the game.
"Whether they were our guys, who were here from day one, or the five who played their first pro game of the year; and for two forwards to go back and play defense, it's great to see that the guys are competing, scratching and clawing," said Grizzlies Head Coach Kevin Colley. "Everyone was emotional on the bench. We played shorthanded and everybody was into the game and realistically, it's all we can ask for, we got a point, we'll take it."
After outshooting Idaho 11-7 in the first period, Utah took a 1-0 lead on the power-play, 6:31 into the second period with Paul McIlveen scoring his team-leading tenth of the year. Blair Yaworski and Matt Sorteberg picked up assists.
Idaho tied the game 4:05 into the third period on a power-play goal. The Grizzlies then killed a crucial penalty halfway through the third period to push the game into overtime and the shootout.
Goaltender Shane Owen stopped 18 of 19 in the third period and overtime along with 36 of 37 overall to help earn Utah the point. "He only gave up a power-play goal, he was outstanding and probably was our best player," said Colley.
Idaho won the shootout 2-0.
The Grizzlies host Las Vegas Wednesday for another Wild $2 Wednesday with $2 Hot Dogs, Fries, Draft Beers and Soft Drinks. Students will ID will be admitted for $5. Face-off is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley paying a...
- Morning links: Bronson Kaufusi could be on...
- Dick Harmon: Sitake is taking advantage of...
- Free agent roundup: Where local prospects are...
- For some Jazz players, their future is up in...
- Utah State football: Offensive lineman Tyshon...
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL draftee
- 41-year-old mom looking to join U.S. team,...
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley... 116
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL... 75
- Big 12 would be better off expanding,... 61
- Guest commentary: BYU football and... 40
- BYU's Kaufusi, selected in 3rd round of... 32
- Former BYU quarterback Jake Heaps signs... 30
- Report: Utah's Poeltl, Weber State's... 27
- Dick Harmon: SUU, Kaufusi big winners... 24