WEST VALLEY CITY — The Idaho Steelheads beat the Utah Grizzlies (13-11-0-3) 2-1 in a shootout Monday night at Maverik Center.
The Grizzlies competed with only ten regular skaters and five players making their team debuts as they have 10 players injured, five in the AHL and one on bereavement leave. Natural forwards Riley Emmerson and Blair Yaworksi played defense in the game.
"Whether they were our guys, who were here from day one, or the five who played their first pro game of the year; and for two forwards to go back and play defense, it's great to see that the guys are competing, scratching and clawing," said Grizzlies Head Coach Kevin Colley. "Everyone was emotional on the bench. We played shorthanded and everybody was into the game and realistically, it's all we can ask for, we got a point, we'll take it."
After outshooting Idaho 11-7 in the first period, Utah took a 1-0 lead on the power-play, 6:31 into the second period with Paul McIlveen scoring his team-leading tenth of the year. Blair Yaworski and Matt Sorteberg picked up assists.
Idaho tied the game 4:05 into the third period on a power-play goal. The Grizzlies then killed a crucial penalty halfway through the third period to push the game into overtime and the shootout.
Goaltender Shane Owen stopped 18 of 19 in the third period and overtime along with 36 of 37 overall to help earn Utah the point. "He only gave up a power-play goal, he was outstanding and probably was our best player," said Colley.
Idaho won the shootout 2-0.
The Grizzlies host Las Vegas Wednesday for another Wild $2 Wednesday with $2 Hot Dogs, Fries, Draft Beers and Soft Drinks. Students will ID will be admitted for $5. Face-off is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- Randy Hollis: Utah's Perrins is one of the...
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule difficult...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 111
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 54
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 44
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 27
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 21
- Morning links: Devontae Booker to be... 20