MERIDIAN, Idaho — The Meridian Idaho Temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints hasn't been completely designed yet, but it does have an address: 7345 North Linder Road in Meridian.
The location just north of the intersection of North Linder Road and Chinden Blvd. in Idaho's third-largest city was announced Monday.
"Meridian has a large faith community which plays an important role in keeping a strong focus on our families," said Meridian Mayor Tammy de Weerd. "[The new LDS temple] in Meridian is welcomed and we will do our part to ensure their needs are met."
Plans to build a temple in Meridian were announced during the LDS Church's General Conference last April. Meridian is one of the fastest-growing cities in Idaho. It is located about 11 miles west of Idaho's capital city, Boise, where another LDS temple is located. The new temple will be Idaho's fifth, and will reduce demands on the busy Boise Idaho Temple,
The other Idaho temples are located in Idaho Falls, Rexburg and Twin Falls.
"We feel this new temple will be a great asset not only to members of the church but also to the people of the surrounding community, who will benefit from the peace and beauty a temple brings," said Craig Rasmussen, LDS Church spokesman in Idaho. "Temples are where members participate in the highest sacraments of our faith — where we make and renew promises to God and to our families."
A rendering of the new temple will be released when ground is officially broken on the temple site, although no date has yet been announced for the groundbreaking. Once construction begins, the temple should require about two years to complete.
The LDS Church now has 166 temples in operation, under construction or announced around the world.
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- U. doctor thanks strangers who saved him,...
- Father of slain woman said he lived his life...
- Police arrest 3 suspected of vandalizing LDS...
- Ex-A.G.s John Swallow, Mark Shurtleff due in...
- Mormon Media scholars discuss church and...
- Photos: World record potentially set during...
- Traditional marriage supporters want... 84
- Educators at UEA convention told to... 40
- Lawmaker pledges to run bill changing... 36
- Democrats challenge Mia Love's... 36
- Feminist speaker claims USU didn't warn... 31
- Federal government extends same-sex... 27
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 23
- Mia Love included in a new ad... 21