JERSEY CITY, N.J. — New York Jets running back/kick returner Joe McKnight has a separated right shoulder and his status for Saturday's game against the Giants was uncertain.
Coach Rex Ryan confirmed the injury Monday on his weekly radio appearance on 1050 ESPN Radio, adding that "we'll see" if McKnight can play.
It was not known when McKnight, who leads the NFL in kickoff return average, was injured in the Jets' 45-19 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday. He played into the fourth quarter, but is also still healing from a hyperextended right elbow that sidelined him for a game.
McKnight, attending teammate Bart Scott's charity go-kart event at Pole Position Raceway on Monday night, said through a team spokesman that he preferred to not address the injury at that time because he was there with family for the event. His arm wasn't in a sling or appear noticeably hindered.
McKnight is the team's third-string running back, but as a kickoff returner he is averaging 32.3 yards a return, best in the league, and has a 107-yard touchdown. This is McKnight's second pro season.
Starting running back Shonn Greene injured his left pinkie during the game, and it was wrapped Monday night, but he said it was fine.
- Utah Jazz legend John Stockton, Weber State...
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave Christensen...
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball strength coach...
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Video: Former USU running back Robert...
- Brady Poppinga: Confronting an unlikely opponent
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 174
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 116
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 67
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 59
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 52
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 51