BABYLON, N.Y. — Thousands of officers from police departments around New York state have gathered to remember a New York Police Department officer shot to death during a botched robbery in Brooklyn.
The casket holding the body of Officer Peter Figoski was led into the small community church in Babylon Monday by a processional of bag pipes and drums playing "Amazing Grace." His four daughters trailed behind. Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly and Mayor Michael Bloomberg attended.
Officers in uniform from the NYPD, Suffolk, and Nassau departments, state police and upstate New York officers lined up to pay respect. It was so crowded that some officers stood on the nearby Long Island Railroad platform.
Figoski had been an officer for 22 years. He was shot and killed Dec. 12. Five suspects have been charged.
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host a...
- Ice bucket challenge goes awry, firefighters...
- Bridezilla, meet 'Bridechilla'
- Obama announces new birth control fixes for...
- Huckabee: 'Stop the fight' over Common Core
- Deported Mexicans find new life at call centers
- How poverty plays a role in Ferguson
- Photographer is using portraits to combat...
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host... 119
- Obama vows justice for killers of U.S.... 29
- 'Don't know' if Missouri teen shot with... 26
- Police, protesters collide again in... 25
- Texas Gov. Perry assembles high-powered... 23
- Federal judge: Florida gay-marriage ban... 17
- Allow student loan bankruptcies,... 17
- Emerging solar plants scorch birds in... 15