BABYLON, N.Y. — Thousands of officers from police departments around New York state have gathered to remember a New York Police Department officer shot to death during a botched robbery in Brooklyn.
The casket holding the body of Officer Peter Figoski was led into the small community church in Babylon Monday by a processional of bag pipes and drums playing "Amazing Grace." His four daughters trailed behind. Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly and Mayor Michael Bloomberg attended.
Officers in uniform from the NYPD, Suffolk, and Nassau departments, state police and upstate New York officers lined up to pay respect. It was so crowded that some officers stood on the nearby Long Island Railroad platform.
Figoski had been an officer for 22 years. He was shot and killed Dec. 12. Five suspects have been charged.
- 'I am Adam Lanza's Mother' author Liza Long...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving door...
- Gamers use police hoax to lash out at opponents
- US wealth gap putting the squeeze on state...
- Extended warranties a big sell. Are they...
- Feds chase treasure hunter turned fugitive
- Deaths in storm drains raise safety issue
- The best (and worst) states when it comes to...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 65
- US wealth gap putting the squeeze on... 26
- Obama 'confident' of Islamic State... 19
- Here's how U.S. churches are changing... 16
- US, Arab allies committed to fighting... 15
- Ted Cruz was booed off stage for... 14
- Utah's Gov. Gary Herbert eyes more... 11
- Americans link violence with Muslims,... 11