BABYLON, N.Y. — Thousands of officers from police departments around New York state have gathered to remember a New York Police Department officer shot to death during a botched robbery in Brooklyn.
The casket holding the body of Officer Peter Figoski was led into the small community church in Babylon Monday by a processional of bag pipes and drums playing "Amazing Grace." His four daughters trailed behind. Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly and Mayor Michael Bloomberg attended.
Officers in uniform from the NYPD, Suffolk, and Nassau departments, state police and upstate New York officers lined up to pay respect. It was so crowded that some officers stood on the nearby Long Island Railroad platform.
Figoski had been an officer for 22 years. He was shot and killed Dec. 12. Five suspects have been charged.
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking...
- At least 31 believed dead at Japanese volcano...
- Why we don't need to worry that Utah cities...
- Obama: US 'underestimated' Islamic State threat
- New mom Chelsea Clinton celebrates baby daughter
- Interracial marriages on the rise, but social...
- Game officials: Antelope poached near Casper
- Al-Qaida leader warns of revenge for airstrikes
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 33
- Republicans rallying behind religious... 32
- Obama: US 'underestimated' Islamic... 22
- White House: Holder resigning as... 20
- New mom Chelsea Clinton celebrates baby... 13
- Police: Fired worker beheaded Oklahoma... 11
- Tens of thousands of immigrant families... 10
- Congress releases war funds to fight Ebola 9