BABYLON, N.Y. — Thousands of officers from police departments around New York state have gathered to remember a New York Police Department officer shot to death during a botched robbery in Brooklyn.
The casket holding the body of Officer Peter Figoski was led into the small community church in Babylon Monday by a processional of bag pipes and drums playing "Amazing Grace." His four daughters trailed behind. Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly and Mayor Michael Bloomberg attended.
Officers in uniform from the NYPD, Suffolk, and Nassau departments, state police and upstate New York officers lined up to pay respect. It was so crowded that some officers stood on the nearby Long Island Railroad platform.
Figoski had been an officer for 22 years. He was shot and killed Dec. 12. Five suspects have been charged.
- Canada man finds an Elizabeth Gallagher for...
- Final goodbye: Roll call of some who died in...
- AP Photos: 4 seasons in 1 war on WWI...
- 10 Things to See: A week of top AP photos
- Abused children die as officials across the...
- Feisty former NYC schools chief cuts loose on...
- A post-election flurry: Obama tests his powers
- Timeline of the Sony Pictures Entertainment hack
- Obama: US re-establishing diplomatic... 49
- End gun violence, say faith leaders on... 33
- Vermont governor abandons single-payer... 31
- Police: 3 dead, including gunman, in... 18
- Sony cancels 'The Interview' Dec. 25... 15
- Taliban assault on Pakistan school... 13
- Utah football's Hackett, Orchard named... 11
- A post-election flurry: Obama tests his... 11