Evan Vucci, Associated Press
Memo to military scientists: Next time you design a drone, how about including a self-destruct mechanism? If the old Mission Impossible gang could do it 40 years ago, so can you.
President Obama responded to the Iranian drone capture by politely asking for it back. Somewhere, Jimmy Carter is wondering, "Why didn't I think of that?"
Hey, it never hurts to ask, right? Next up, President Obama asks North Korea for the USS Pueblo back. Pretty please?
Mitt Romney got in trouble recently for challenging something Rick Perry said by offering to bet him $10,000. When the critics chimed in, Romney and his damage-control team went to work. Here are some responses they might have considered:
What I meant was, when I am elected president, every American will be rich enough to throw away $10,000 on bets.
I'm sorry. If I had bet him any more I wouldn't have had change left to tip the valet.
$10,000 is excessive? It isn't even a fraction of the budget deficit under President Obama.
I never wager more than Ann and I usually find when we check under the sofa cushions at home.
Oh yeah, like you people don't blow that much on junk food over 10 or 20 years.
They pay Kobe Bryant that much per basket and people seem to like him.
Look, I'm wagering with a guy who thinks Election Day is Nov. 12 and who doesn't know how many people sit on the Supreme Court. It's easy money.
Last week, the National Transportation Safety Board said it wants Congress to pass a nationwide ban on the use of cellphones while driving. I know this because my cellphone rang with a news alert, nearly knocking me off the road.
Texting and tweeting are, of course, terrible things to do while driving. I'm just wondering why the NTSB remains silent on applying makeup or eating fast food behind the wheel.
Jim Matheson has decided to jump into Utah's 4th District race for Congress, even though he doesn't live there. This means Utah finally will have a competitive two-party race on its hands. It also means a lot of that hard work this year trying to gerrymander the state was wasted.
Jay Evensen is the associate editor of the Deseret News editorial page. Follow him on Twitter @jayevensen.
- Letter: Moral decline
- John Hoffmire: Unknowingly raising another...
- Brian S. Brown: In defending marriage, Utah...
- Robert Bennett: Obama should not move forward...
- My view: Medicaid will sting Beehive State's...
- About Utah: High time for a peaceful revival
- In our opinion: Some universities targeting...
- Socratic observations — Society cannot...
- Letter: Moral decline 81
- In our opinion: Utah should change law... 80
- Letter: Climate denial 62
- Brian S. Brown: In defending marriage,... 47
- In our opinion: Some universities... 45
- Politico Magazine: If Mitt Romney runs... 44
- Robert Bennett: Obama should not move... 39
- My view: Government broadband spells... 28