Howard prefers No. 5, but his buddy Devin Harris already had that, so he picked a number that hadn't had an owner for 10 months: No. 8 (yep, Deron Williams' old number).
Speaking of Harris, he was appreciative that his Dallas teammate from 2004-08 vouched for him with Jazz management. "He knows the real Josh Howard," he said. On Friday, the respected point guard called Howard "a good dude."
Howard kept a shoe he wore from his 47-point game against the Jazz (Dec. 8, 2007). It meant that much for him to go off while being guarded by Matt Harpring and Andrei Kirilenko. "They beat me up pretty good," he said. He took pride in notching that offensive achievement "against a Utah team that prides itself on defense."
He's a classic car collector. Two current projects — a 1967 Lincoln and a '64 Impala — should be refurbished by season's end.
He knows his fellow small forwards and believes "the sky's the limit for both of those guys." While with the Mavericks, he watched Dallas native C.J. Miles play in high school and thought he was a "great kid." He was also impressed watching Gordon Hayward play NCAA ball with Butler.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- NFL watch: How local players fared in week 14...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 98
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 80
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 67
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 50
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 48
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43