Utah Jazz: Al Jefferson, Paul Millsap not expected to play in Saturday's game
SALT LAKE CITY — Tonight will be an excellent opportunity for Utah Jazz fans to get a good look at two of the more promising players on the roster.
Because of injuries, the last two No. 3 picks in the NBA —Derrick Favors (2010) and Enes Kanter (2011) — should see a lot of court time during the 7 p.m. intrasquad scrimmage at EnergySolutions Arena.
Neither Al Jefferson nor Paul Millsap are expected to play in the free event.
Jefferson went through part of practice this morning, but he's experiencing soreness in his left hamstring. Big Al didn't practice Friday, either.
Millsap participated in most of today's practice session, but he has a sore right quad.
For precautionary purposes, Jefferson and Millsap will sit, leaving extra time for the other Jazz bigs, Kanter, Favors and Mehmet Okur.
Having a healthy squad for — and after — those games is important, Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin said.
"We want to make sure that coming out of exhibition games we're as healthy as can be," he said, "so we don't really want to take a chance."
The Jazz are also hoping to have new signee Josh Howard available. The small forward observed his team this morning but was unavailable to practice because he still needs to pass a physical.
Utah has two preseason games coming up —Monday at Portland and Wednesday at home against the Trail Blazers.
Tonight will also be the first chance Jazz fans have to see rookie Alec Burks in action.
Doors open at 6 p.m., and tickets are not required.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: DJJazzyJody
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Tanner Mangum is...
- For now, odds are '50-50' that BYU ends up in...
- MWC commissioner says it's probable BYU...
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl...
- Jimmer Fredette has BYU-esque performance in...
- After years of working and dreaming, BYU...
- About Utah: A big deal just got bigger
- Jazz lose 106-103 heartbreaker to the...
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best... 110
- College Football: Utah moves back into... 71
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl... 67
- For now, odds are '50-50' that BYU ends... 54
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell... 47
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's... 39
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA... 37
- Brad Rock: Utes need bowl win to avoid... 36