Utah Jazz: Al Jefferson, Paul Millsap not expected to play in Saturday's game
SALT LAKE CITY — Tonight will be an excellent opportunity for Utah Jazz fans to get a good look at two of the more promising players on the roster.
Because of injuries, the last two No. 3 picks in the NBA —Derrick Favors (2010) and Enes Kanter (2011) — should see a lot of court time during the 7 p.m. intrasquad scrimmage at EnergySolutions Arena.
Neither Al Jefferson nor Paul Millsap are expected to play in the free event.
Jefferson went through part of practice this morning, but he's experiencing soreness in his left hamstring. Big Al didn't practice Friday, either.
Millsap participated in most of today's practice session, but he has a sore right quad.
For precautionary purposes, Jefferson and Millsap will sit, leaving extra time for the other Jazz bigs, Kanter, Favors and Mehmet Okur.
Having a healthy squad for — and after — those games is important, Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin said.
"We want to make sure that coming out of exhibition games we're as healthy as can be," he said, "so we don't really want to take a chance."
The Jazz are also hoping to have new signee Josh Howard available. The small forward observed his team this morning but was unavailable to practice because he still needs to pass a physical.
Utah has two preseason games coming up —Monday at Portland and Wednesday at home against the Trail Blazers.
Tonight will also be the first chance Jazz fans have to see rookie Alec Burks in action.
Doors open at 6 p.m., and tickets are not required.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: DJJazzyJody
- WNBA undefeated: Lynx host Sparks for 20th...
- Cleveland set to hold parade for NBA champion...
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- BYU football receives commitment from... 68
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 24
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 22
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 13