Utah Jazz: Al Jefferson, Paul Millsap not expected to play in Saturday's game
SALT LAKE CITY — Tonight will be an excellent opportunity for Utah Jazz fans to get a good look at two of the more promising players on the roster.
Because of injuries, the last two No. 3 picks in the NBA —Derrick Favors (2010) and Enes Kanter (2011) — should see a lot of court time during the 7 p.m. intrasquad scrimmage at EnergySolutions Arena.
Neither Al Jefferson nor Paul Millsap are expected to play in the free event.
Jefferson went through part of practice this morning, but he's experiencing soreness in his left hamstring. Big Al didn't practice Friday, either.
Millsap participated in most of today's practice session, but he has a sore right quad.
For precautionary purposes, Jefferson and Millsap will sit, leaving extra time for the other Jazz bigs, Kanter, Favors and Mehmet Okur.
Having a healthy squad for — and after — those games is important, Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin said.
"We want to make sure that coming out of exhibition games we're as healthy as can be," he said, "so we don't really want to take a chance."
The Jazz are also hoping to have new signee Josh Howard available. The small forward observed his team this morning but was unavailable to practice because he still needs to pass a physical.
Utah has two preseason games coming up —Monday at Portland and Wednesday at home against the Trail Blazers.
Tonight will also be the first chance Jazz fans have to see rookie Alec Burks in action.
Doors open at 6 p.m., and tickets are not required.
Email: email@example.com Twitter: DJJazzyJody
- Brazil nabs 10 IS backers in Olympics...
- Oklahoma State forward Tyrek Coger dies after...
- Jeff Gordon readies for the Brickyard in...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 97
- Morning links: National college... 96
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 80
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 57
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 31
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 30
- 9 observations from the release of Utah... 14