High school basketball: West Jordan posts another dominant win
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
To view more photos from this game, click here.
OREM — Lone Peak was the marquee team of the Great Western Shootout by most evaluations, but as the eight teams move to the final stage on Saturday, West Jordan looks to have replaced it. The Jaguars beat Davis handily 67-52, setting up a championship matchup with Orem tomorrow night.
The game was tight throughout the first quarter, with the Jaguars leading by the score of 22-18. They extended that lead to 39-30 before exploding into the second half, entering the fourth quarter up 56-39.
The Jaguars were again led by Ute-signee Jordan Loveridge, who led all scorers with 30 points, dominating the play on both ends of the court. He was able to score almost at will from both the perimeter, with a couple of 3-point baskets, and on the inside, bringing the crowd to its feet a couple of times with some monstrous dunks.
"That was a quality team we beat tonight," said coach Scott Briggs. "Davis is always a very well-coached, disciplined team, so any time that you beat them it's a good win for your team."
West Jordan takes on Orem tomorrow night for the Great Western Shootout championship. While Orem had a fight until the bitter end for their victory over Lone Peak, the Jaguars have cruised over the competition so far.
"Orem is obviously going to be a confident team after the win they had, and they should be confident — they're a very good team," said Briggs. "There's something to be said about being battle-tested in having to win like that, but I'm certainly not going to complain about winning by double-digits and it certainly makes it easy for me on the sidelines, but we anticipate Orem to give us a big test tomorrow night."
- Boise State blasts BYU 55-30, Mendenhall...
- Dick Harmon: Boise State embarrasses a...
- Plenty of blame to go around for Cougars...
- High school football: State tournament pairings
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense needs Bronco...
- Utah-USC: Battle of ranked teams at...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz wrap up preseason play at 5-3...
- Utah Utes football live blog: No. 20 USC...
- Boise State blasts BYU 55-30,... 114
- Dick Harmon: Utes climb on big stage;... 75
- Dick Harmon: Boise State embarrasses a... 61
- Utes picked to finish 2nd in Pac-12... 24
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 21
- BYU walk-on Carter makes most of... 19
- Beast mode: Utah running back Devontae... 18
- BYU-Boise State game expected to... 16