Famous Idaho Potato Bowl: Utah State vs. Ohio
Saturday, 3:30 p.m.
Bronco Stadium (33,500)
FieldTurf, Boise, Idaho
Radio: 610 AM, 97.5 FM
For Ohio ... Ohio is looking for its first bowl victory in school history. With head coach Frank Solich at the helm, Ohio is making its fourth bowl appearance in the last five years. The Bobcats fell in the 2007 GMAC Bowl to Southern Mississippi 28-7; the 2009 Little Caesars Pizza Bowl to Marshall, 21-17; and last season's New Orleans Bowl to Troy, 48-21.
For Utah State ... the Aggies are looking for their first bowl victory since defeating Ball State 42-33 in the 1993 Las Vegas Bowl, which happened exactly 18 years ago today. The Aggies are looking for a repeat of the 1993 season, which also started with a 2-5 record before five straight wins to end the season. With a victory Utah State will claim its first eight-win season since 1974 and only their 10th season with eight or more wins in the 119 years of Utah State football.
For Ohio ... the Bobcats were riding a five-game winning streak prior to falling to Northern Illinois on a field goal as time expired in the MAC championship game. This is Ohio's third straight season to end with a bowl appearance.
For Utah State ... The Aggies, not for the faint of heart, have won five straight games all by seven points or less. Four of those five victories came with Utah State scoring a game-winning touchdown with less than a minute to play in regulation or in overtime.
Player to watch
Utah State running back Robert Turbin ... The junior already owns school records in career total touchdowns and total scoring for a season and a career. With one more rushing touchdown he will break a tie with Abu Wilson for the career rushing TD record and needs to add just 120 more rushing yards to his 1,416 season total to break Demario Brown's single-season school rushing record.
Ohio's Tyler Tettleton vs. Utah State's defense ... The sophomore quarterback set 12 team records this season throwing for 3,086 yards and 26 TDs while running for another 627 yards and nine touchdowns. Slowing down Tettleton will go a long way toward thwarting the Bobcat attack.
Utah State schedule
Date Opponent Time (TV)/result
Sept. 3 at Auburn L, 42-38
Sept. 10 vs. Weber State W, 54-147
Sept. 24 vs. Colorado State L, 35-34 (OT)
Sept 30 vs. BYU L, 27-24
Oct. 8 vs. Wyoming W, 63-19
Oct. 15 at Fresno State L, 31-21
Oct. 22 vs. Louisiana Tech L, 24-17
Nov. 5 at Hawaii W, 35-31
Nov. 12 vs. San Jose State W, 34-33
Nov. 19 at Idaho W, 49-42 (OT)
Nov. 26 vs. Nevada W, 21-17
Dec. 3 vs. New Mexico State W, 24-21
Dec. 17 vs. Ohio 3:30 P.M. (ESPN)
— By Kraig Williams
- Jennifer Hamson to lace it up for BYU one...
- The Cougars and their coach's ’stache...
- Injured Tyler Haws could play when BYU hosts...
- Jimmer & Jimbo: As one pursues a steady role,...
- Presto! Utah Jazz pull a magical 2nd win out...
- Brad Rock: Utes now look at bowl pairing from...
- After last year's bowl loss, BYU seniors...
- Rudy Gobert's fast break impressed and amused...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 69
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 60
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 40
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 32
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 31