WASHINGTON — The Iowa caucuses are about two weeks away and Newt Gingrich, the Republican leading in the presidential race there, is taking the weekend off.
The former House speaker planned to spend part of Saturday watching his wife, Callista, perform in a Christmas concert with a county band in northern Virginia.
Periodic down time is not unusual for presidential candidates who typically keep to a hectic schedule of events.
While Gingrich takes it easy, chief rival Mitt Romney will spend Saturday campaigning in South Carolina with Gov. Nikki Haley. Haley endorsed Romney on Friday.
Gingrich will resume campaigning next week.
- Disney ending funding to Boy Scouts in 2015...
- Girl Scouts asked to end partnership with Barbie
- Obama administration allows 2-year extension...
- New Ukraine prime minister: Crimea will...
- Looking to win a battle in the 16th century?...
- 23 Mormon missionaries in Ukraine transferred...
- Former baseball star Mariano Rivera rescues,...
- US announces visa restrictions on Russians
- No longer loyal to Boy Scouts of... 51
- Obama administration allows 2-year... 22
- Putin: Russia has right to use force in... 21
- Disney ending funding to Boy Scouts in... 20
- Thousands march in pro-invasion rally... 11
- Obama appeals to Democrats in 2015... 11
- Former IRS official Lois Lerner again... 10
- Ukrainian software professionals... 10