WASHINGTON — The Iowa caucuses are about two weeks away and Newt Gingrich, the Republican leading in the presidential race there, is taking the weekend off.
The former House speaker planned to spend part of Saturday watching his wife, Callista, perform in a Christmas concert with a county band in northern Virginia.
Periodic down time is not unusual for presidential candidates who typically keep to a hectic schedule of events.
While Gingrich takes it easy, chief rival Mitt Romney will spend Saturday campaigning in South Carolina with Gov. Nikki Haley. Haley endorsed Romney on Friday.
Gingrich will resume campaigning next week.
- Georgia girl struck by plane on Florida beach...
- Comic-Con's dark side: Harassment amid the...
- Trial begins for Salt Lake attorney seeking...
- The Great War: 100 photos marking 100 years...
- Ground Zero cross can stay at 9/11 museum,...
- US Court: Virginia marriage is for all lovers
- Be ready for 'prolonged' Gaza war, Netanyahu...
- NCAA settles head injury suit, will change rules
- US Court: Virginia marriage is for all... 43
- Federal land managers criticized over... 26
- Feds cap fines for not buying health... 22
- Obama maintains busy fundraising... 22
- After government topples crosses in... 19
- Fast food workers vow civil disobedience 15
- Gaza sides agree to lull but truce... 13
- Sarah Palin launches online... 10