SALT LAKE CITY — Reports out of Utah Jazz camp have been overwhelmingly positive so far.
Players reported in shape. They're working hard. They've responded well to a defensive overhaul and are adapting to offensive tweaks.
Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin summed it up by describing players' attitudes as being "tremendous."
When asked, however, Corbin did admit Utah is experiencing some growing pains.
His big concern right now: "Newness."
This is Corbin's first go as camp director, and he only has 28 games of head coaching experience under his belt.
The Jazz have two new coaches in Sidney Lowe (assistant) and Mike Sanders (player development).
Seven of the 17 players weren't here last season, and Utah struggled at the end of last season while experiencing wackiness and injuries.
"It's a new group together with a new system," Corbin said. "Some things are the same, but the focus definitely is a little bit different."
The "trust factor," he added, is also a work in process. But he remains optimistic because progress is being made.
Jazz players got a break Wednesday with only one practice after three straight two-a-days, but they'll be at it twice today. Utah practices Friday and Saturday morning, leading up to Saturday night's free intrasquad scrimmage at EnergySolutions Arena.
The Jazz begin their abbreviated two-game preseason Monday night in Portland.
TERMS OF ENDEARMENT: "Jackpotting" was one of Hall of Fame coach Jerry Sloan's classic terms. On Tuesday, Corbin used a trash-talking description that might fit in a similar category: "jaw-jacking."
He used the catchy phrase while talking about rookie Alec Burks' quiet playing demeanor.
"Guys that are out there jaw-jacking the whole time, you don't have to be afraid of them," Corbin said. "Guys that are working and just doing what they need to do and they're not saying anything, they're the guys that you have to really be aware of. Alex could be one of those guys."
SICK DAY: Tinsley missed practices Tuesday night and Wednesday because of stomach flu. The point guard is considered day-to-day.
- Risks in climbing Everest in focus as 3 die,...
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- LSU's live tiger mascot diagnosed with rare...
- Olympic gold-medal sailor tells of gunpoint...
- A look at Day 2 at French Open
- Lowry, DeRozan lead Raptors to 105-99 win...
- UCLA agrees to 15-year deal with Under Armour
- Atlanta, Miami, Los Angeles selected to host...
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 147
- Morning links: Broncos like Devontae... 67
- Rivalry renewed: BYU, Utah agree to a... 48
- Brad Rock: BYU-Utah hoops are back... 48
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 41
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 37
- Why can't we be friends? BYU-Utah fans... 28
- Video: 100 days until college football... 27