SALT LAKE CITY — A person with knowledge of the situation says Utah Jazz officials are meeting with free-agent small forward Josh Howard in North Carolina.
ESPN first reported the Jazz were meeting with Howard.
The person, who spoke Tuesday on condition of anonymity because no deal has been finalized, says Howard is hoping to decide where to sign early this week.
The Jazz made adding an athletic shooter their top priority in free agency after re-signing backup point guard Earl Watson.
Howard was a key player for Dallas from 2003-10 and helped the Mavs in their run to the NBA Finals in 2006. He averaged a career-high 19.9 points in 2007-08.
The 31-year-old Howard was traded to Washington in February 2010 but tore his anterior cruciate ligament the following month.
He only appeared in 18 games for Washington last season and averaged 8.4 points.
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Brady Poppinga: Confronting an unlikely opponent
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- Video: Former USU running back Robert...
- Jazz rookie Dante Exum looks like a kid but...
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball strength coach...
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon State
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 174
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 117
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 52
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 47
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head... 45
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 45