SALT LAKE CITY — A person with knowledge of the situation says Utah Jazz officials are meeting with free-agent small forward Josh Howard in North Carolina.
ESPN first reported the Jazz were meeting with Howard.
The person, who spoke Tuesday on condition of anonymity because no deal has been finalized, says Howard is hoping to decide where to sign early this week.
The Jazz made adding an athletic shooter their top priority in free agency after re-signing backup point guard Earl Watson.
Howard was a key player for Dallas from 2003-10 and helped the Mavs in their run to the NBA Finals in 2006. He averaged a career-high 19.9 points in 2007-08.
The 31-year-old Howard was traded to Washington in February 2010 but tore his anterior cruciate ligament the following month.
He only appeared in 18 games for Washington last season and averaged 8.4 points.
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former Cougar...
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share...
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU filled...
- Red-hot Utah Jazz enter the danger zone
- Utah football: Delshawn McClellon announces...
- Rock On: Jabari's guide to Utah
- High school wrestling: Perennial powers...
- Utah State's Evans has been on a 'long journey'
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 103
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 67
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share... 39
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former... 33
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU... 32
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 30
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the... 24