SALT LAKE CITY — A person with knowledge of the situation says Utah Jazz officials are meeting with free-agent small forward Josh Howard in North Carolina.
ESPN first reported the Jazz were meeting with Howard.
The person, who spoke Tuesday on condition of anonymity because no deal has been finalized, says Howard is hoping to decide where to sign early this week.
The Jazz made adding an athletic shooter their top priority in free agency after re-signing backup point guard Earl Watson.
Howard was a key player for Dallas from 2003-10 and helped the Mavs in their run to the NBA Finals in 2006. He averaged a career-high 19.9 points in 2007-08.
The 31-year-old Howard was traded to Washington in February 2010 but tore his anterior cruciate ligament the following month.
He only appeared in 18 games for Washington last season and averaged 8.4 points.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- NFL watch: How local players fared in week 14...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 98
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 81
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 68
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 50
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 48
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43